jelly for orioles

brookw_gw

I know orioles can be a bit particular when it comes to what jelly they like. I just bought a couple feeders that screw straight onto the jar and was wondering what jelly has worked for you.

Thanks

SaveComment16Like
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catherinet

I used some grape that didn't have any corn syrup in it, and nobody touched it the whole summer!

Save    
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

Apricot preserves and peach preserves were very popular last year. Grape jam also. I don't worry about the corn syrup but I try to use preserves/jam rather than jelly on the principle that it's better nutritionally (I hate it when a bird product has "berry flavoring" as an ingredient).

My impression was that the catbirds were more interested in grape than the orioles. Nobody seemed to like strawberry.

Claire

Save    
bluebirdbabe

I use Welsh's concord grape jelly and everyone loves it...even the robins, red bellied woodpecker and catbirds.

Save    
brookw_gw

Thanks. We'll give them a try. We have had pretty limited success with oranges.

Save    
dzyg

I have always used grape jelly...brand didn't matter...

Save    

Today I put up a new jelly/jam jar feeder with apricot preserves and this afternoon a male oriole appeared. I usually use the cheapest store house brands, although I bought the Smuckers because the jar fits the feeder. I'll refill the jar with house brand apricot or peach or grape preserves.

Claire

Save    
GoldfinchGuy

I had head that blueberry or strawberry preserves aren't good as the seeds can get stuck in the bird's throat. Is this true? I have one unopened jar of each kind.

Save    
bedelia

I use the cheapest grape jelly I can find, and have not had an oriole pass it up, or a catbird for that matter.

However, I have read that the jelly jars are dangerous to use. Once the jelly gets to a low level, the bird can get caught in the jar as it goes in and can get trapped and die. A few places have discontinued selling them. Something to think about.

I use an oriole feeder I bought on ebay a few years ago. It has 2 cups for jelly, and two places for oranges. It's also covered and is made of recycled plastic. The birds love it.

Save    

The jelly jar feeder I bought has a bar across the opening and the instructions say not to remove it because without it a bird can get caught in the jar. This should prevent that problem.

I have other oriole feeders that work - I have to rig up a new hanger for one because the old hanger wire broke.

Claire

Save    
donald lucius

I have tried lots of stuff over the years and it varys from birds to birds. some like the strawberry best and others grape and lots like apricot. they use the jar feeder but like the bowl of jelly or a lid better. also most seem to prefer the jam over jelly.

Save    
Ruth_MI

I buy the cheapest grape jelly I can find, and they love it.

Save    
donnas_gw

claire, where did you find your jar feeder? Thanks.

Save    

donnas: I bought it on Amazon.com for $10 plus $2 shipping.

"Songbird Essentials SEBCO212 Jelly/Jam Fliteline Oriole Feeder"

Claire

Save    
catherinet

Beautiful pictures Claire!

Save    
HU-471712749

1 Like Save    
HU-471712749

Nectar doesn’t seem to get their attention. But cheap Walmart brand Concord grape jelly works great. My feeder only has one really small dish for jelly, and they clean it out as fast as I fill it. I’m ordering a bigger one today that holds an entire jar so I don’t have to fill it two or three times a day. Started with a small feeder just to see if it would attract orioles. Didn’t know if we had any around, but apparently we do.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Backyard Birds: Orioles Return After Spending Winter in the Tropics
These colorful songbirds prefer woodlands and forest edges, but they’ll visit yards with fruit-producing trees and shrubs
Full Story
Gardening for Butterflies A Quick-Start Guide to Bird-Watching for Fun and Learning
Set out some seed and grab your field guide. Bird-watching is an easy, entertaining and educational activity for the whole family
Full Story
Most Popular Attract Hummingbirds and Bees With These Beautiful Summer Flowers
Roll out a welcome mat for pollinators to keep your landscape in balance and thriving
Full Story