SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
svdousman

Woodpecker hole in bluebird house

svDousman
10 years ago

I bought a home about a year ago, and have a bluebird house on a post in my backyard. Toward the end of last summer, a woodpecker has pecked a large hole (1 1/2 inches?) into the side of the birdhouse. Now there are two holes, counting the original one.
To my surprise, a pair of bluebirds have recently started living in this house with two holes. My concern is, that they are susceptible to predators with this additional entry. I've noticed the male bluebird standing watch nearby, and on several occasions even seen him chasing red-winged blackbirds away. I live near a small lake with many cattails and the red-winged blackbird population in the area is very large.

My question is this: Would it be a good idea to help protect these bluebirds, but patching over the woodpecker hole? I was thinking I could quickly glue a wooden patch over the hole, rather than disrupt the nesting with drilling or screwing into their house.
Or, do you think that since they selected the house in the condition it's in, that they're okay with it? Do bluebirds come back from previous years to the same house? If so, they may have stayed there before, and just accepted it based upon that, and prefer the single hole.

So many questions!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions