SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chickadeemelrose

It's True What They Say About House Wrens

chickadeemelrose
13 years ago

Hi folks,

I am posting thisc mainly for people like myself who are fairly new at the backyard birding interest, to say that what is said about house wrens having mean and destructive instincts is true.

Less than two weeks ago I spotted what I hoped was a returning Carolina Wren (who was delightful and nested in our yard), only to determine that it was a House Wren. We had chickadees nesting near the garden so right away I was concerned. The reputation I had always read was that the house wrens were a species nasty to other birds and not one you'd want to have around. Obviously the things they do are prompted by instincts they have for survival, but that doesn't make them any more desirable to have nesting in your backyard.

To make a long story short, in the space of about five days the wren made dummy nests in all three of our nestboxes, and the last one on top of the chickadees' nest after having attacked the newly hatched chicks and thrown them to the ground below. And the nest wasn't even a real nest, it was a bunch of twigs thrown in.

To say the least, even though I had read that this ugly behavior happens, I was shocked and upset. I had taken great care not to check the nest any more than necessary (1-2) times a week, I had put two different kinds of guards on the front of the box once I knew there was a house wren around. I always think that to describe any animal with human tendencies is wrong, they live by instinct and experience, but this bird was a devious and nasty piece of work.

I am going to take down all our nestboxes in the hope that the wren will move on. Maybe this won't happen, but at least he may be discouraged, and no more nestboxes here will give him an opportunity to wreak havoc. Also, this experience was discouraging to me; I am going to just enjoy the feeder birds and ones that come to the garden for the birdbath.

So...yes, house wrens do rotten things. If you think there is one in your backyard habitat, and you have nestboxes, it is good to check out the sialis website to see what measures you can take to thwart this behavior.

Donna

Comments (7)