SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bandjzmom

Eggs not hatching

bandjzmom
13 years ago

Hi there. I do believe that I have a lost cause on my hands, but I want to get as many opinions as I can on this. I have Blues here all year round. A pair of them had completed a nest in my Bluebird box by the end of March. Then, nothing happened. No eggs. The female had disappeared from the yard. Then, another girl came along. She decided to stay with the male, and built another nest on top of the first wife's nest! She laid 4 pretty blue eggs. The first egg was in the nest on April 27th. If she laid one per day, they would have all been laid by the 30th. With a 12-14 day incubation, I would have expected hatching to occur by May 14th. The eggs have not hatched. The really odd thing is that the male and female are still out there guarding the box, and the female is often inside incubating. Do you think that the eggs are just sterile? You'd think that the female would give up incubating them at some point;that her instincts would tell her it was no use.I'm not sure what to do at this point. Thanks for help! :o)

Comments (2)