SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommyfox

Plectranthus, Lantana (sale!) and Crepe Myrtles

mommyfox
16 years ago

Hi! I always say I'm not going to do this, then I go and do it anyway. I bought a plant on impulse. BAD GARDENER, yes, I know. But they were so pretty ... isn't that always the case?

So I bought two Plectranthus hybrida, "Mona Lavender." I put them in my mostly-shady bed, where I usually grow caladiums, columbine, begonias and balsam. It's acidic, sandy soil that I've amended with compost and cypress mulch. It's facing west but it gets protection from a massive oak tree and part of the house. Think these plants will be happy there? Has anyone propagated them before? I thought I might take some cuttings to overwinter, since it doesn't look like they're usually perennial in this part of the country (DFW.)

Ok, second question! Are your lantanas normally perennial or annual? They were on clearance at Calloway's today - $.50 for the little four inch pots! Sorry, I bought all the confetti. But there's plenty of New Gold left. But they were listed as annuals! I trust you guys more than the little tags on the plants, though ... What's your take on it?

Ok, last question. In the same bed as the plectrnthus are two very unhappy crepe myrtles. Don't blame me, I wasn't ignorant enough to put them in nearly full shade! They were here when I bought the house. The poor things are about ten feet tall but very scraggly; they're never been happy there, and no wonder! I was wondering if it was possible at this point to move them, since they're so big. And if so, what's the best way?

Ok guys, thanks so much!

Comments (10)