SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchid_ladycats

mealworm feeder placement

orchid_ladycats
15 years ago

My DH reluctantly put up a new mealworm feeder for me today. For the past few years, I've used two feeders: a little wooden house type with holes at both ends and a Lucite piece on one side (thank you Kathy G!) and also one of those little Lucite feeders that sticks to a window via a suction cup. We had 10 BBs winter over, and now there's a Mom and Dad feeding two juveniles and five more eggs in the nest. (Sadly, one fledgling out of a brood of three disappeared.) With the small feeders, it gets to be pretty crowded, lots of squabbling, and that's not even counting the Titmice and Carolina Wrens!

So I treated myself to the Bluebird Nut Deluxe mealworm feeder a few months ago, and, as I wrote, it just got put up. We don't have a deck, so it's hanging from one of those very long arms at the top of a WBU pole system, and it's the only feeder I plan to have on that pole. For two selfish reasons, I asked my DH to mount the pole right outside a window: first, I really want to be able to see them, and maybe get some good photos; second, I want to be able to fill it easily no matter the weather. (I ended up in the ER one winter trying to navigate the stone patio that had become an ice skating rink to get to the feeders.) The BBs are used to coming right up to the house because if the placement of the existing feeders.

IÂd love to hear about others experiences with this feeder  where and how youÂve mounted it, how itÂs working out. Thanks so much!

Joan

Comments (3)