SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlesanne_gw

rip my lawn... hello virginia buttonweed

charlesanne
16 years ago

Since all of this rain (Houston), my lawn has become INFESTED with virginia buttonweed. In a paniced effort to stop it, my poor husband used Weed Beater Ultra on all the patches in our front yard. Well, all that has done is killed our beautiful St. Augustine. The VirgButton wilted and came straight back.

I went to Buchanan's this weekend (my fav neighborhood nursery) and the owner suggested Image.

She said we have to wait until temps are below 85 to use it thought.

Until then, she highly suggested ripping out all of the weed we can find. Even if it leaves huge holes in the yard.

She said to rip out all visible VirgButton, when the temps drop, spray with the Image, keep checking for re-emerging VB, rip it up and respray the spot.

Then re-sod in the spring.

So, so far we have spend three hours pulling it up and only succeeded in making three two foot square bare patches.

Here are my questions.

1st: my lawn looks like a war zone (i feel like it is one too). Is there a better way to pull this stuff up than by hand? Should we just use a shovel and try to cut out the big sections and then hand pull the small ones?

2nd: when is the soonest safe time to spray the Image? I'm in Houton and temps are always insane. You could have a 90 degree day in November...

3rd: Is it even worth going through all this if my neighbors aren't treating their yards as well? Will i have to do this every year? Should i just give up and have a virginia buttonweed lawn!? please say no.

and

4th: has anyone gone this route (or any other) and had success? Please share your story with me.

Thank you,

Charlesanne

p.s. my neighbors are now slowing down and staring when they go past my yard. :(

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor