SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_frome_ky

Lifer! Migration starting early

rachel_frome_ky
15 years ago

While I was hiking at the end of the logging road looking for jaguar (?) tracks (I've not seen any jaguar sign for over a month now-I hope he's o.k. I've not heard any news of a black jaguar being shot, so I guess so far so good) a Red-tailed Hawk being chased by a crow passed overhead so I attempted to manually focus through the branches

From April 2009

Back at the pond, a curious small gray bird came by to check me out..a first year female Blackpoll Warbler and a LIFER (!), by my definition. I've only seen adults a few times in my life, and never photographed any that I could positively identify.

From April 2009

While I was trying to photograph a pair of Eastern Towhees the resident male Pine Warbler followed me around suspiciously

From April 2009
{{gwi:1361796}}From April 2009
From April 2009

The male Eastern Towhee finally briefly appeared above the brush, although in the distance

From April 2009

I moved to another spot to try to photograph a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher that was dancing around through the branches snagging insects, but it was too quick for me to focus manually. I did photograph a speck in a nearby Yellow Pine that turned out to be the first year Blackpoll female.

She must have followed me
{{gwi:1361800}}From April 2009

She was scurrying and leaping through the branches as well but a few photos were semi-clear

From April 2009

Neither of the game cams have taken any wildlife photos lately. I suspect the new infrared cam is too slow; I walked deliberately in front of it several times this morning before collecting the SD card and it only photographed me once, while I was standing still.

Photos of suspected jaguar tracks, scat, and ground and tree scrapes at

http://picasaweb.google.com/rachelbro3/BigFootTracksScat#

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations