SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Research on the Bird house continues

paulsiu
13 years ago

Well, I am continuing my research on installing my first bird house. I am going to shoot for a chickadee since I see a few in the area, and they fit into openings that house sparrows would not. Chickadee would be in competitive with house wrens, but frankly I have never seen a house wren in my area.

Nesting box - I am going to feed store to find a bird house. According to the research on various sites, I should go for a box with a 1-1/8" opening with no perch. The box should have a slanted room to throw off water, side vent, and some sort of drainage hole on the bottom. I am not sure I should leave it empty or not. Some site suggest loading it up with saw dust to the hole.

Pole - I am going to use a step on metal pole. I have two right now being use for bird feeding.

Baffle - After reading http://www.sialis.org/baffle.htm, I am going to use a 4"+ PVC pipe that's 3 feet long. Hopefullly, this will be enough to deter a raccoon. I was told that it won't work against snakes, but I don't think I have ever seen a snake in my yard. Raccoons however are a real problem in my yard have defeated most of my baffles. According to sialis, even cone baffle over 36" in diameter and easily got around the standard squirrel torpedo baffle.

Placement - on the side of my yard facing into my dining room window next to a few trees. I know that Chickadee's like the house to face the sun, but I am trying to keep the house away from food and there's little or no kiddy traffic in that area (the neighbor's kids often cut across my backyard to get to his friends and their dog thinks half of the yard is also hers). It may be possible for the squirrel to jump on the house, but there's really nothing for it to eat so I figure they'll just move on.

Paul

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!