SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susancol_gw

Container Ted, Tell me about Tomatoes for Atlanta!

susancol
14 years ago

Hey Ted,

I'm a new tomato gardener in the Atlanta area. I'd love to learn more from your much larger operation in terms of what tomatoes were most productive for you while still good tasting in our climate. I only get about 6 hours of sun in my shady back yard, so finding a really productive plant is my way of coming out with a normal harvest.

You posted the following on Ania's request for productive tomatoes. You say you could go on. Please do. :) And are these numbers a per plant number or a total harvest from multiple plants? I can only plant 8 or so plants with space available. So each variety will likely be one plant. (I have already picked out my cherries for the next year (SunGold and possibly Sweet 100) and will definitely be doing Arkansas Traveler again. Other than that I'm open to suggestion. What will give me the biggest and tastiest bang for my Atlanta garden buck?

Posted by containerted NE of Atlanta, GA (My Page) on Mon, Aug 3, 09 at 16:19

Sibirskiy Skorospelyi - 5 ounce Red toms that make a wonderful BLT. Plant loads up and is a great slicer/canner. Determinate like Celebrity, but this one is Open Pollinated. 34 toms harvested and a new crop setting with lots of blooms.

Mini Gold - Large golden Cherries and old fashioned zip in the taste. Better than Sungold (IMHO) and again, it's open Pollinated. More than 15 pounds of 1/2 ouncers with a new crop setting on the 3 foot tall plant.

Berkeley Tie-Dye is cranking out 10 ouncers.

Golden Cherokee is on its 3rd crop.

Spudakee is on its second crop.

New Big Dwarf has put out 17 toms in the 7 ounce class and has 28 more in progress.

A project to dehybridize a mystery slicer is producing 7 ounce toms in great abundance - 26 so far and 13 more in progress on a determinate plant about 3 feet tall.

I could go on.

Ted

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County