SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sneakymom_gw

Bluebird sadness

sneakymom
12 years ago

About 2 or so weeks ago I was thrilled to find a bluebird nest in one of my boxes. I have 2 boxes- the other one had Tufted Titmice in it that successfully fledged.

However, I had problems with this nest of Bluebirds. I counted about 5 babies when the eggs hatched.

We left to go away last weekend, and I thought that the babies were almost ready to fledge. When we came back and I checked the box on Monday- sure enough the babies had gone. All but 1. Dad was still hanging around feeding the baby (and dive-bombing me) so I didn't think much about it- the first day.

Yesterday the baby was still there. I started getting concerned. Dad was still feeding the baby- and it looked healthy enough. I considered taking the baby out of the nestbox and placing it in one of the bushes in the woods- but then was concerned that maybe the baby wasn't strong enough to fly and then I'd put dad in danger of being found by a predator- so I left baby alone.

This morning I went to check the box. Baby was still there. Baby wasn't moving. Got a bad feeling. Went for a 30 minute walk and came back. Sure enough- baby had died last night. As I was taking the nest out of the box- I found another dead nestling. This baby was younger than the fledgling- it didn't have the same feathers as the older one (I knew the older one was ready to go b/c it looked like babies I'd seen before who had fledged)

I did a little internet research to see why the babies had died. There were some funny-looking bugs in the bottom of the box, and from what I looked up on the internet they looked like blowfly larvae. There was this red spot on the baby- it kind of looked like a blowfly that was attached to it. But from what I read also it said that you needed a lot of blowflies to harm a nest, and I saw maybe 4 total in the bottom of the box. I didn't check the nest and now I can't find it- I threw it away in the woods.

Can blowflies do that kind of damage to a nest? And if so, why did I have a couple of successful fledglings? Maybe this one was the runt and was harmed by them the most.

It wasn't a predator that got the babies. I've got a metal baffle attached to the pole the nestbox is on. I know there are HOSP's around- but I've never seen any in my backyard.

If you got this far in my post- thank you. Any kind of advice would be helpful. I did clean out the box with a bleach solution and it's drying out now, I'll make sure it's up again to see if maybe I get another pair that nest there.

cheryl

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH