SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highprairie

HELP! Dead Nestlings?

highprairie
12 years ago

I'll try to make this short. I've been hosting bluebirds for several years now and consider myself somewhat experienced, but I'm not sure what to do in this case.

I have a box of 5 babies. I'm not exactly sure how old they are as I didn't record their hatch date, but I've been monitoring the next regularly and stopped when I thought they were about 13 days old based on pictures from the Sialis Web site. That would make them somewhere around 16-18 days old today--they've been peeking at the hole, and I know that usually means they are only days away from fledging.

Their mother disappeared about a week ago, but the father has been very attentive. I think they were being fed more often by him than they were being fed when they had two parents. This time of year, bugs are in abundance, and I've observed that he's had to do very little work to catch their meals, often dropping right by the box and catching a good-sized bug or grub.

The babies have seemed healthy because I can hear them cheeping loudly when he feeds. Yesterday, I walked past the box and noticed flies on the roof of it. I walked closer and saw three, little heads, dart back into the box. So I know as of yesterday three were still alive. But as I approached the box, I could smell something dead. I was hoping that they would fledge in the afternoon or this morning, but I just checked and at least one is still in there. I can see one head moving. I'm still seeing some flies buzzing around the front of the box, and I can still smell something dead when I walk close.

I feel like I really need to open the box and clean out the dead nestling or nestlings to save the one or more that are still alive, but I don't know how to do that without the remaining babies hopping out into the tall brome field that is just across from their box. I'm not sure if that should even be a concern of mine at this point. They might fly out rather than hop out. I really think they're that close to feldging.

Does anyone have experience with an emergency nest clean-out with older nestlings? Thanks so much!

Comments (6)