SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trinay_gw

Bluebird babies died on fledge date

trinay
13 years ago

I have been monitoring a nest of bluebirds. Everything was going just as it should. One bird fledged 2 days ago. However, here in Washington State, we had a 3 day rainstorm. The fledged baby stayed at the bottom of the pole under the box in the grass. I put some cardboard gently over the place he was standing to protect him as it was nonstop rain. Yesterday, he was alive and so were his nestmates still in the box. They had not fledged yet. The parents were busy feeding all of them the mealworms I provided. The babies in the box yesterday sounded weaker than usual but I thought the parents were feeding them less in order to get them to fledge. This morning I went out and all the babies were dead. There were originally 5 eggs and 4 of them hatched. They do not appear to have been attacked by anything. One had obviously died earlier than the others as it was smaller.I took photographs of all and removed the nest. The swallows were already moving in, but the parents are still here. They did not abandon them. Can anyone help me understand what went wrong? Was it just the bad weather? Was I overfeeding the mealworms (There were lots in the nest)? I am heartbroken.

Comments (2)