SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmommy_2010

People don't like Heirlooms?

gardenmommy_2010
12 years ago

So, I've planted mostly heirlooms this year - ranging from the traditional reds & pinks to some black, gwr, yellow, orange & bicolor varieties and have really been looking forward to trying them all. My first "non-traditional" tomato to ripen was Black Prince which I really like. However, my family tried it this week & no one has liked it, stating it doesn't taste like a tomato. Does anyone else find that many people prefer the Safeway/Raleys thick-skinned rubber tomato, stating that the heirloom tomatoes don't taste like tomatoes? Once all my varieties are ripening I want to do a blindfolded taste test. MIL asked FIL if he likes tomatoes that look like Black Prince - hadn't even tasted it yet. The ones they've liked are Big Beef, Celebrity, Moskvich, Burgandy Traveler (all reds) and Sungold of course.

I'm also growing ARGG, Orange Russian 117, Orange Strawberry, Black Krim, Kelloggs Breakfast, Cherokee Purple, Prudens Purple, Yellow Brandywine, Hillbilly, Black Cherry, Yellow Pear and the free Ace plant. Now I'm thinking that no one else will like the fun ones. I might have A LOT of tomatoes to eat.

I'm actually find this frustrating that people (my family) are so used to the typical grocery store tasteless tomatoes that my very productive garden will be a flop.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus