SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluesoblue

Very sad

bluesoblue
11 years ago

Last year I put up five new BB boxes. The old ones already up were mounted on 2x4's the new ones on pipe. A BB pair chose one of the old ones this year and laid five eggs. I have been feading them mealy's twice a day. Yesterday I peaked in quickly to see if the eggs hatched, one egg did and there was a little baby BB. I went out this morning to feed them and my heart sunk. There under the house was the contents of the nest! I looked in the house and there were still the four eggs on what was left of the nest. I fluffed up as much nest as I could and placed the four eggs together in the middle. Mom and Dad are okay and ate one or two worms but were obviously upset.

My question to you good people is....do you think they will still take care of these eggs? or will they consider it a failed attempt? I am so bummed because I really should have taken the old 2x4's and replaced them with pipe. What would have just grabbed the baby and not the eggs? IM sorry IM all over the place, just so bummed.

Comments (16)