SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnalovesblue

A Possible Solution To The Cat Problem, But I have More Questions

donnalovesblue
14 years ago

I thought maybe my thread about my dead male bb would be at it's end, so here's some new info.

First, Kathy and others, I totally agree with you in that it is not fair to invite these birds to my yard when their safety is in jeopardy. In all my years of birding, I've never had a cat problem, so this is a first. I know absolutely nothing about cats, but I'm confident this cat grew up in the wild as opposed to being a stray and just appeared here for some reason.

I spoke with my vet yesterday and she has agreed to take the cat and attempt to relocate her. She will loan me a carrier/trap and instructed me to place it where this cat seems to "hang out" so that she can get used to its presence, smell, etc. Their office often receives calls for people looking for an outdoor cat and in fact she did get a call from a man looking for a "barn" cat, supposedly to help with mice and rats.

This will be a difficult task at best as I have no idea how I'll manage to get her in the carrier! Do any of you have any suggestions? If this doesn't work, I will call animal control, but their task would be the same and I'm sure they wouldn't sit around for very long, waiting for her to show up, if that were the case. I really need advice on how to make this work.

Kenn, if you're reading this, I'm sure it was Daddy and not the new male. Though the new male is larger, he looks somewhat immature to me. He continues to guard the box with its completed nest, but whether Mama accepts him as her new mate is yet to be seen.

Oh...since it may take several days for this cat to get used to seeing the carrier, what can I do in the meantime? Would it be best to plug up the entrance hole and hope Mama will build another one elsewhere? I just don't know what to do!!!

Many, many thanks for your kind words and support. I'm still very upset and I pray this plan will work. Thanks, too for the links provided in the other thread. Again, any advice is most appreciated.

Donna

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz