SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
master_richie

can a tomato plant outgrow a 18 gallon container?

master-richie
14 years ago

Hi, am new to the forum and gardening and need some advice. I acquired 2 partially grown tomato plants from walmart about 2 months ago. I think they're indeterminant based on how the fruit has been popping up

I have transplanted each plant into its own 18 gallon container (drainholes drilled in the bottom every 3 inches) and put them on my 2nd floor porch which receives about 10+ hours of direct sunlight each day. We live in east coast, SC.

I used 2.5ea., new bags of ordinary potting soil, top water twice daily (about 2 gallons per plant total) and fertilize weekly with 1/2 gallon per plant of miracle grow. the plants are staked to a makeshift trellis I attached to my porch railings. The weather has been mid 80's-95+ and humid.

Needless to say, they've shot up in size and are each bearing about 15+ fruit in various stages of development and more blossoms than I care to count!

However, the larger of my plants now has a couple of leaves that have turned yellow. Both plants have some leaves / stems that feel dry. I can see roots on the surface of the soil too.

My question: Should I be drastically pruning these plants to keep them from overgrowing their containers? I have "trimmed" leaves a couple of times to prevent them from choking out the light but don't have the brass to cut a stalk or two cause I'm new at growing things.

Please help! thanks ~Rich

Comment (1)