SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juniorpilot

Roma Question From A Roma Newbie

juniorpilot
14 years ago

I'm a backyard veggie grower in USDA 10, Sunset Zone 20 in So. California near L.A. I've grown Celebrity tomatoes for four years and they do well and taste great. I canned up 16 quarts of what I thought would be great Celebrity tomato sauce. But upon using the canned "sauce" that winter I found it to be watery.

So I planted Roma variety for the first time this spring because I read that it is used for tomato sauce and tomato paste. Now the Roma fruit are ripe and I tasted several. They seemed quite mealy in the fleshy part near the outside of the fruit and only the familiar gelatinous juicy center part with seeds tasted good to me.

Since that mealy fleshy part is barely edible to me, I thought why would I can this when the resulting sauce probably won't taste good? Then I thought maybe that's the way they're supposed to taste and I'm just not familiar with them since this is the first time I've ever tasted fresh Roma variety. Plus I'm comparing the taste of fresh Roma with fresh Celebrity which is a really great tasting slicing tomato.

So my question is whether Roma variety is supposed to taste this way or not when eaten fresh off the vine? Also, will the tomato sauce that I make from these Romas taste good (better than fresh off the vine) or not?

If I'm going to use my Roma crop I have to can them up very soon or they will rot on the vine. Otherwise I'll just turn them under.

BTW, in the last week I read that one has to "reduce" (boil off water) the boiling tomatoes by 1/2 when making tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes. Not doing this was my mistake with my first time watery Celebrity tomato sauce. So I've done this reducing with this year's Celebrity tomatoes. The resulting sauce is not watery and has intense flavor. But I'm wondering what to do with the Romas.

Tony

Comments (3)