SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_frome_ky

Spring is springing

rachel_frome_ky
15 years ago

Despite the below freezing nights, spring has sprung; the crocuses are up!

From 3-23-09, Spring
From 3-23-09, Spring

and on St Patrick's Day tiny spider webs glittered in the dew around the pond

From 3-23-09, Spring

I've been sweeping the logging road a section at a time when I retrieve the Cuddeback camera SD card each morning, and yesterday a flock of wild turkeys helped themselves to the exposed grubs as soon as I left.

From Cuddeback trail camera photos-wildlife on Picazo Farm pond trail

It's supposed to rain tomorrow, so perhaps tracks will show better on a cleared road

The Wood Duck pair was on the pond,

From 3-23-09, Spring

but they are spooky and flew off before I could get a photo. A Pileated Woodpecker hammering on a dead tree also vanished when it glimpsed me!

DuBois and I have been leaving the screen tent set up in the yard by the horse pasture and sleeping there each night. The screen catches most of the dew but I can still watch the stars

From 3-23-09, Spring

Its been in the 20s at night, so we wear ski masks, gloves, long-johns, and use a double sleeping bag, but it's heaven to gaze up at the constellations whenever I choose, and yesterday there were three does chasing each other at full speed around the steep hillside.

There's been no sign of the jaguar for two weeks now but we keep the spotlight within reach.

The Carolina Wrens are using their old nest built against our kitchen air conditioner so it sounds like they are right in the house. I saw a Robin checking out his old nest in the deck eaves, carrying a beak filled with mud and grass.

Yesterday when DuBois and I hiked around Eagle Lake

From 3-23-09, Spring

we were surprised to see beaver sign everywhere

From 3-23-09, Spring

yet we never came to a dam or beaver lodge.

Comments (11)