SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nif_ne_pa

Tragedy

nif_ne_pa
15 years ago

I live in Northeastern PA, and the blues have had great success over the last 3 years. This year I was excited to have a nest with 4 - and possibly 5 babies!!!

(They were so stuffed I couldn't see)

Then came the rain and cold weather. Even a frost one morning. The mom and dad were doing good at first in the rain feeding and such, and I was worried about the cold, but I figured, well, at least they have lost of drowned worms and grubs to feed, and then all of the sudden, I saw them huddling together on a branch, doing nothing.

The young were already like 3 days from fledging so I didn't even think to be checking the box this whole time - I was not supposed to....

When the rain cleared, still no activity at the box and the male was displaying to the female. I hoped they were fledged, and so gave them a couple of day to be sure and checked the box.

All nestlings were dead.

Any ideas on if it was just the cold rain and weather, and if there is anything I can do??? A previous post mentioned mealworms, can I just put mealies out in rough times and expect it to help when they are not used to me feeding them?

Thanks for listening.

Comments (10)