SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rae_stl

Kefir or Yogurt For Early Blight?

rae_stl
14 years ago

This is my first year growing 'maters, and boy what a learning experience! I'm growing organic and it's tough to do, especially considering I got hit mega-hard by early blight and didn't realize it was blight until it was too late to save half the leaves on the majority of plants.

I sprayed with neem, but I read some posts saying neem isn't all that effective in the later stages of blight. I also read some home remedies for the disease, one of which included milk.

Now, is it that milk encourages fungus that curtails blight, or is it that it encourages bacteria, specifically lacto bacteria, which does the same?

If it's the later, would spraying a dilute 1:1 solution of kefir, a highly cultured milk product, do more good? That stuff is loaded with good bacteria- really, really loaded. What about yogurt?

The only problem I would find with using kefir is its pH, which can run pretty acidic depending on how long it's fermented (I make my own, ditto for the yogurt.) I mention I make it since I can control the pH, if that matters.

What do you think? Would cultured milk do the trick in eating/ stopping fungi? Would a high pH (3.8-4.8) kill the plant? What if the pH weren't so high?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH