SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_frome_ky

Spring birds returning (working link)

rachel_frome_ky
14 years ago

(When I posted this last night, the forum website was down, so I'm trying again this morning)

The rain stopped and the sky cleared so we've been climbing the mountain each night to watch American Woodcock aerial displays and camping in the screen tent by the horse pasture. Haven't heard any owls but been seeing plenty of meteors.

When we woke this morning the Robin, Cardinal, and Carolina Chickadee songs were almost deafening

Pine Warblers have been singing in the woods all week as well

From fish hatchery

and climbing around in the Yellow Pines snatching insects

From fish hatchery

Yesterday at Minor Clark Fish Hatchery all the overwintering ducks had vanished but one empty fish pool had a small flock of migrating adult and 1rst year Pectoral Sandpipers

From fish hatchery

sifting through the muck on the bottom for crustaceans

From fish hatchery
From fish hatchery

Two deer assumed comical shapes while bounding across a clearing

From fish hatchery

A flock of American Pipits was also wading in the bottom of the emptied pool, feeding in the muck.

From fish hatchery

One came up on the bank near the car

From fish hatchery

and began to preen

From fish hatchery
From fish hatchery
From fish hatchery

Some of the Tree Swallows were already feeding babies in nest boxes behind the fence. One male attacked me repeatedly when I tried to pass

From fish hatchery

and they all kept wary eyes on me

From fish hatchery
From fish hatchery

We climbed Poppy Mountain today and sat in the porch swing at the cabin at the very top watching Bluebirds courting, Eastern Phoebes defending territories, and a pair of Northern Mockingbirds building a nest in a Multiflora bush

In two weeks migrating warblers will begin flowing through Kentucky in earnest.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner