SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tshcd

diseased native red (or Spanish?) oak

tshcd
15 years ago

The bark on one branch of one of our largest red (or possibly Spanish) oaks is falling off in wide swaths all along the bottom of the nearly horizontal branch. I plan to take the bark pieces, which are about 4" wide and 2' long, to a nursery tomorrow, but I am not finding anything online that matches these symptoms and I'm wondering if any of you can help me out.

As I said, big pieces of bark were on the ground and more were ready to fall. The interior of the bark and the exposed bare branches is a dull yellow. The exposed branch has protruding little bumps that appeared to have pushed the bark out and loosened it.

I have looked online, as I said, and this doesn't seem quite like oak wilt or oak decline or oak borers or anything else I ran across. The first symptom of each of those diseases is that the leaves either wilt, fall or become discolored, and the leaves on this tree are green and shiny and appear perfectly healthy. The fungal mat of oak wilt is said to be gray, and this is yellow. Other than this bark problem, the tree looks perfectly fine. It doesn't appear stressed at all.

Does anyone have any clue? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)