SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fledged38

BB couple building nests in 3 different boxes

fledged38
15 years ago

Hello all,

I am in Ontario, Canada (very close to Ogdensburg, NY) and have been b-birding since 2002. I have had 6 out of these 8 years have active nestings with 38 babies successfully fledged. In 2005, I experienced the joy (shock!) of 6 BB eggs in one nest (who all later successfully fledged) as well as having a 3rd nesting that same season which are both fairly rare occurrences this far north, but I have never, ever seen such crazy behaviour as this spring.

Has anyone ever experienced a bb couple defending AND building nests in 3 separate boxes at the SAME TIME?? Two of the boxes are within 50 feet of each other on one side of the house and the third box is out sight at our human ground level (but not from bird's eye view) on the other side of the house.

Mrs. B started building in one box and has now started 2 more in 2 different boxes. Not just single strands of grass but full blown mouthful after mouthful of grass into each of the 3 boxes! I can just barely see the bottom of the nest box floor in the 3 boxes with the 3rd box having the best nest-like formation. She works on one nest in the early morning (7-8 am), takes a break, than switches to the one at the side of the house for a while (9-10) then starts in on the 3rd box for about an hour or so (11-12)

What is going on!?! Are they getting revved up for another banner year of nesting? I don't know if I can afford mealies for another 3 nesting season!! :)

Thanks,

Karen

Comments (5)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio