SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wwwonderwhiskers

What the Binoculars show.....

wwwonderwhiskers
12 years ago

Well this has been fun - thank you so far. We have 5 babies, and today is their 15th or 16th day, depending on how you count. We're starting to see little faces peeking OUT of the box hole when it's near feeding time (that is SO cute).

Last weekend we successfully transitioned the parents to a plexi dome'd feeder for mealworms. They seem to be in a perfect little enclave of habit, young trees, high poplars, rooflines, grass, etc.

Last week the birds alerted us to the fact that there was a snake in one of the poplars. (seriously, I've never seen & heard such a cacophony of chickadees, blues (male, mama was with the box), nuthatches, and a pair of large red-headed woodpeckers.) The Binoculars showed a medium sized adult Blacksnake (Black Racer, etc.)who raised the neighborhood fuss for awhile, then disappeared into a knothole. For the past week we figured he either was gone, or remained in the knothole - and we've been watching with vigilance.

Today the Binoculars show that he is now coming back OUT of the knothole.

Our 5 blues are due to fledge this weekend (my estimate, with no experience other than reading you'all & sialis).

I would rather that this be a happy fledging, and have no desire to kill the snake, but can also prioritize that decision nicely. I have no problems MOVING the snake further out towards the back fence, which would be my preference if given the opportunity. Firepower and good aim neither are lacking in the house, but the desire to keep good neighbors happy in a new 3-5 acre sub, and not anger the horse farm behind me prevail.

Should be an interesting weekend. I have a feeling we'll be spending a LOT of time on the back porch with hoe, walking stick, gloves, and binoculars handy.......

- Les

Comments (2)