SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ianrw_gw

finches, finches, finches

ianrw
15 years ago

Hi all, longtime lurker...

I live (currently) in Venice, CA on a little walk street about 300 yards from the ocean. Absolutely an "urban" environment - between Santa Monica and Marina del Rey - but our particular location is very sheltered with tons of huge trees and shade.

My 3-year-old and I put up several birdfeeders at our farm in upstate NY with success - woodpeckers, juncos, pine siskins, etc... now we're here in CA for the summer, and we put up a similar setup.

It has been a wild success - if you like house finches and American goldfinches. Don't get me wrong, they're very pretty, but there aren't any other birds coming by (except for the occasional HOSP), and they've really overrun the feeders.

Our feeders are:

- metal mesh feeder with nyjer seed (goldfinches go through TONS a day)

- squirrel tumber feeder with sunflower hearts

- brome squirrel-proof feeder with no-mess mix of BOSS, peanuts and a little millet

- suet feeder (completely ignored by all birds)

- two hummzinger feeders in other part of yard (getting some nice hummingbird action)

I'll probably mix some of the new golden safflower seed into the feeders to deter the few HOSP that manage to get through the crowds, but does anyone have any advice to get a few more species to show up? Or is that pretty much all there is in an urban environment - even at the beach - this time of year?

thanks!

Image link:

Comments (3)