SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Do cherry and 'early' tomatoes flower sooner, ripen faster, both?

2ajsmama
11 years ago

Looked again at the truss timeline (think it was a Big Boy), showed about 2 wks from bud to fruit, another 2 weeks til full-sized fruit, then about 3 weeks to blush (and another days til fully ripe so just about 60 days, not sure of the DTM for this variety).

So since "early" tomatoes are about 60 DTM (from transplant, and I'm assuming they're not typically flowering at transplant), I'm wondering if they just flower earlier than the later-season varieties, and may cut a little time off each later stage, but not much? Cherries also seem to ripen earlier - but I never made any notes, maybe they don't usually flower any earlier than later varieties like BW, but the fruit is so much smaller the time to reach full size and ripen is shorter?

I have to start making notes this year - strange year though, I've already got small fruit on the BWs and 1 BK, but flowers are just opening on my Glacier and GD cherries, while I've barely got buds on the Bloody Butcher, and nothing showing yet on the Speckled Romans! All started the same day, all transplanted within days of each other, though I do have to say that the romans, the Glaciers, the cherries and most of the BB stayed in the 3606 size 6-packs (about 2.5" square) too long, the BW and BK I potted up to 4" pots so had better roots systems, but that doesn't explain why the cherries are blossoming but the romans aren't, and the BW have lots of fruit while only 1 BK has 1. Aside from a few that were "runts" when I transplanted, and the romans which just seem a little smaller and more delicate than the cherries, they're all about the same size right now - can't tell the difference between the BK from 4" pot and GD from 2.5" now, except that I planted them in separate areas and the BK has larger flowers. In fact, I was wondering if I messed up and planted all Glacier since the BW was blooming so early, til I saw the size of the blossoms and was able to compare when the ones I knew were Glaciers (6-packs) started to flower.

Sorry so long - I'm just counting on about 45 days now for ripe BW, but wondering if I'll be picking my "early" tomatoes and cherries at that time or later? (my official first tomatoes were from some Husky Reds I picked up from a greenhouse 6-pack and potted up last month, but of all the kinds I planted in the garden, I'm wondering if the CP I got from my cousin, started 1 month before mine but transplanted the same time, is going to be the earliest! I had put those in 2-gal pots as soon as I got them, and planted DEEP when I put them in the bed.)

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting