SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liz_h_gw

Ugh, what should I do now?

liz_h
15 years ago

This is my first time starting tomatoes at this time of year. These transplants looked very healthy going in, but are distinctly yellow now. They were planted about a week ago in homemade earthbox type containers. The soil mix was thoroughly wetted before planting. I didn't mulch for 2 days though. I also forgot to set the transplants extra deep, as I normally would. I just loosened the roots a bit and set them in at the same height as they were in the 4" pot. The soil temperature in the box is now 105F. The plants are a Celebrity and 444. I'm tempted to dig these plants up and replant them as deeply as possible. But I've no idea if that would hurt or help! I've even thought of adding ice cubes to the water reservoir, which might cool the soil temp a bit. Is this yellowing normal for plants set out this time of year, or is something wrong?

This box, with two Solar Fires, was planted a few days later. The tomatoes were set as deeply as possible and mulched immediately. (They were taller transplants to begin with.) The soil temp in this box is 100F.

{{gwi:47317}}

Comments (6)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone