SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frontporchfarm

What should I be doing right now?

frontporchfarm
7 years ago

Plans are at the county this week. Permits and construction loan close should be 4-6 weeks out.

My husband and his father will be building the house with some subcontractors. Father-in-law will do fireplaces/masonry/concrete/tile/basement, so he will be completing those bids for the bank. All the other bids like trusses, roof, windows and doors, framing, drywall, HVAC, plumbing, electrical will need to be completed in the next couple of weeks before the construction loan closes.

I have GC'd several remodels, including gutting an entire house, but I've never supervised new construction. Usually I just pick up the materials needed as the job requires it, or send the sub to home depot, etc to get what he needs. I make decisions quickly, and I have a clear idea of what I want design-wise, but I understand a new house requires more precision than just winging it.

With the construction loan, I think I will need to have most of the finishes picked out before we break ground. Does anyone have an exhaustive list of the materials and design decisions that need to be completed before construction begins? What other things should I be doing during this 4-6week period to make sure we are ready to hit the ground running once the loan closes?

Comments (6)