SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bighead262

Fall Preparation

12 years ago

I have just a few questions about how to properly get my lawn winter ready. Let me first explain what has been done since spring. I early April I laid tall fescue sod. I followed that up with lots of daily watering and an initial application of Souther States Carpet Maker fertilizer 16-4-8. The lawn looked absolutely beautiful until around late June to early July. During that time I staretd to get some brown patches as well as an infestation of various broad leaf weeds, clover, crabgrass etc. from a neighbors adjoining lawn. I pulled various weeds at first but they got to be too much. As far as the brown patches my local farmers coop instructed me to us Epsoma lawn food 18-0-3. Two applications around the middle of July and early August have brightened most of the lawn back up and now I only have a few patches that didnt make it.

I want to get the lawn winter ready as well as do something about the weeds. I have heard that these will basically die off in the winter but I am a complete novice at lawn care. What should I be doing right now to get rid of the weeds as well as filling in the bare spots that I do have. I want to have as little weed infestation as possible when we start spring next year. I assume no matter what that I will have problems since the yard comes into direct contact with my neighbors but I would like to have as healthy a lawn as possible next summer. Due to recent rains I am off to cut the grass rignt now, any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I want to be the one that can help people here in the upcoming years as I learn all I can about taking care of my lawn!

Comments (3)