SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frog4gators

Gilwood boxes

frog4gators
12 years ago

I recently put up three different Gilwood boxes. One in the my backyard, which is in a residential neighborhood. The second in the back yard of a friend house. His house is in the middle of no where. The third on my dad's horse farm. All facing east, into an open area, as suggested.

I made two minor modifications to the house. I added drain holes and a fledging ladder.

My box - within 20 minutes of putting it up there was a pair sitting on top of it. They looked inside the box but never went in. They have come back a few times but have yet to go in. All the specs are right but they won't go into it.

Friends box - next day they started building a nest. For over a week they were observed going in and out regularly. No activities for the last two days. A half built nest inside. He hasn't even seen them in his yard.

Farm box - full nest built. now no birds or eggs.

I know they make several nests before choosing one. From what I've researched this was supposed to be "the" bluebird box.

I am very puzzled why they won't even go into my box. The pole sways a little that it's attached to. Maybe the movement scares them? Could it be smell of the wood glue I used?

Anyone else had any problems?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting