SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dzyg

Nestbuilding going on here....babies fledged less than a week ago

dzyg
14 years ago

Somehow I just knew that this pair of Blues this year were going to nest again once the babies fledged. All during the nesting they both were checking out the other boxes once the Swallows fledged or were lost in that bad weather we had. They had been interested in a box on the other side of the yard until the swallows in the box about 20 feet from the one the Blues were in fledged and then they started defending that box like crazy. A few days before fledging I even saw Dad go in the box with some grass and then come out and sit on top of the house pounding it on the top of it. Well the babies fledged last week Tuesday, July 1st..day 19. They took the babies out of our yard and up the road to the neighbors yard and have kept them there. I watch where they fly when they take the worms. I noticed yesterday the female going in that nestbox they liked so well and then again today and saw she had something in her mouth. Later I went out and looked and yep, she has started a nest. I sure hope they don't chase these fledglings away once they can feed themselves and let them stay around for this second nesting. This will only be my second time for a second nesting too, all other years I just had one except for my first year when I had two, that time the Dad chased the little ones away though. I just can't believe she has started another nest when it hasn't even been a week yet, well amost but not quite. The ones down at the park usually waited 2 weeks to start another nest. I know nestbuilding may take probably more than a week though so the babies will probably be following them around by the time she starts laying eggs again. I sure hope everything goes ok with this second nesting, like it did with the first. They are very clean parents too, nest was very clean after fledging. They chose a Gilwood box this time, last time was a Nabs as it was the only style left at the time.

Donna

Comments (4)