chickadee nest in my bluebird box

gotigersgo

Ihave had avery successful bluebird box in my yard since I moved in seven years ago. Over the last couple of weeks chickadees have seen fit to move in and build a nest. When I checked the box yesterday, the nest looked complete, but there were still no eggs. My question is: Should I let the chickadees continue on with the risk of being accosted by the bluebirds, or should I destroy the nest?

SaveComment19Like
Comments (19)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisa11310

Hi. You CAN NOT destroy the nest! Chickadees are great to have nest with you , you will love them. Put a hole reducer on the box and the Blues wont be a problem. I wold put up another box right away if you dont already have have one, they will nest fairly close to each other! Lucky you!

Save    
kendra2003

Lisa is right. It is quite illegal to destroy a native bird's nest. The chickadees are delightful, so let them have the box. I have chickadees making a nest in a box that the tree swallows used last year. I will put up another box, so they will have one near where they nested last year when they return. Lisa's advice is sound. Put on a hole reducer and put up another box for the Bluebirds. It should double your fun to have them both nesting in your yard.

Save    
bigmatt

The reducer you put on should be 1-1/8 inch,If you decide to do it.Just because you don't see any eggs ,doesn't mean they aren't there,Chickadees will cover their eggs when they leave the nest.DON'T feel around in the nest for eggs ,They break VERY easily.

Save    
bandjzmom

Oh gosh. I can understand why you are disappointed, but Chickadees are wonderful. If you can do so, buy another BB box and put it up for the Blues. My other suggestion is to buy some smaller houses and place them around for the Dees. My Chickadees seem to prefer to nest in little boxes that I put up on my front porch. I look for decorative boxes which are also functional. I look for ones with a high hole,room for a nest and chicks, and a clean out door on the back. My Dees have never ventured towards the BB house, and I think that is why.
http://s642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/GAnaturelover/?action=view&current=IMG_1524.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

Save    
bluebirdbabe

I would be THRILLED if chickadees built in any of my boxes. They are wonderful birds and need help just as the bluebirds do. Please put a hole reducer on the box and leave them alone :)

Karen

Save    
organicgardener

One thing that was not mentioned is there are federal laws that protect native birds. You cannot remove an active nest of a native bird. These laws do not apply to the non-native HOSP. By the way, I've got 4 bluebird babies in the nest and trapped my 16th HOSP in the Martin House this morning.

Linda C

Save    
tbenton

We have 3 BB boxes by usually only one is used. We have had BBs in that box for 10 yrs and they have several broods and we love to watch them. They must have been late nesting this year because Chickadees got there first. There were air fights but the BBs lost. Does not seem that the Chickadees will have another brood and I wonder if the BBs would use their nest and give us babies this summer or should we take the nest out?

1 Like Save    
lilacinjust

I'm only getting house sparrows in my boxes ;-(

Save    
ltrom

Can someone advise and in inform me.. I immediately purchased a bluebird box when I saw two pair of bluebirds on our back fence. Days later one pair seemed to claim it. I did add a few pine needles before erecting. They have been regular visits in and out of the box but for two days I've also seen black capped chickadees also going in and out. And then later the bluebirds appear and reclaim. I read that is is normal for the black caps to neat in a BB box but at the same time as a BB?? Curious and I know I need to get a second box but how far should I place that one? Thanks any info is appreciate as I want to let nature takes its course but would hate to think the cute BC would destroy the eggs!!

1 Like Save    
tbenton

itrom.......Last year when chickadees took over our fave BB box after so many year of having only BBs in the box there were reclaim fights but the BBs did not win and we never saw any all summer and that was sad. That particular box is the one we can see easily and we love to watch them and take photos. There are two other boxes nearby so I kept asking myself why can't the cute chickadees just use those...lol. BBs have moved into the fave box and I hope there is peace! Good luck and enjoy whatever nests ...or...put up another box and if you do make sure you follow instructions as to how far from the fist one.

Save    
ltrom

tbenton...right after I posted the request I went down to the local hardware store and bought another BB box. I read that chickadees will beat near bushes and trees so I placed it closer to the grown and near my hedges. But it's in the same yard, I live in a patio home so it's a small yard. Will continue to read up to see how far to place it. Thanks for the quick response. L

Save    
lexilu73

I would definitely put a hole reducer on the box the CC are nesting in. They usually only have one nest attempt per season. Their numbers are down and we need to do all we can to help them out. Also, they will pull moss, hair, etc over the eggs when they leave the nest. You may think there are no eggs but there could be. Please get the hole reducer ASAP. Good luck!

Save    
ltrom

Thanks for the info but there isn't any eggs just pine needles. And the house is occupied by Bluebirds. I bought a second box for the chickadees and placed a few wood chips as the Cornell lab suggested. Once they lay the eggs I will place a hole reducer. Thanks again

Save    
parkernicole01

From what I read, 100 yards is ideal unless you have bluebirds & tree swallows. Then, you can place them very close to each other. I'm no expert though. Just relaying what I've read.

Save    
judieburdick

Well I put up two birdhouses for Bluebirds. I saw the BB scoping them out. Then today the activity I saw was Chickadees going in and out both houses. I was so disappointed. I just love BB. I did not put the two houses close together either probably over 200 feet apart. Tried to do everything exactly as I had researched.

Save    
scotts7272

Yesterday, our Bluebirds had laid 3 eggs, today there is a 4th speckled egg that appears to be a Black-capped chickadee. Is it possible for the BCCD to do this? Should I remove the speckled egg?

Save    
scotts7272

Anyone?

Save    
Paul Sherman

Chickadee has moved into a Bluebird nest box, He added moss about 2 inches deep then wood chips there was a dead chickadee at first which I removed. A new female had laid 7 eggs when I looked this afternoon,

One finch made a small nest in the bottom of a wreath with blue eggs and black specs, There was a larger egg with spots laid by a cowbird. There are 2 blue eggs and I hope they are hatched.

Save    
Larry Ross

My bluebirds killed the chickadee chicks and carried them out

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides How to Bring the Joy of Bluebirds to Your Garden
Attract these beautiful songbirds with nesting habitat and food sources, including berry-producing trees and shrubs
Full Story
Gardening for Birds Backyard Birds: Marvel at Chickadees This Winter
These North American natives flock to bird feeders and entertain with their complex birdcalls
Full Story
Gardening for Birds What to Know About Birds Nesting in Your Yard
Learn how to observe, record data and help ornithologists with NestWatch’s citizen science project understand bird trends
Full Story