SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohsoblue77

Collateral damage: Chickadee killed in DRST

ohsoblue77
12 years ago

Well, my luck is once again shining.

Badly, that is.

I received a call by my brother today that 2 chickadees were trapped by my DRST. The bad news is that one died. I believe one killed the other out of stress.

I have had food and water in the trap. But I placed it near my feeding area in hopes of attracting HOSP. Of course, just my luck...today some FINALLY showed up. 4 - 5 of them. Mostly females...a couple males. But they decided to take to my Black Oil Sunflower seed, then were scared off.

I don't know what to be more mad at. The chickadee killing it's cell mate, or me maybe not thinking things through enough. Part of me wants to think it wasn't my fault. I've been checking it in the morning when I wake up and once in the afternoon, and again before dusk. I've kept food and water. The food is mixed. the bait is mainly millet.

I have received the okay to trap on my neighbor two doors down. This is an area where a feed lot for alpacas that harbored HOSP was shut down after the owner sold them all off. This is also where I trap in his Purple Martin trio housing. I'm taking the trap in tonight, as thunderstorms are forecasted, so I won't risk something falling and destroying the trap.

I am more angry than anything. In the last week since I got it, I've only caught 3 birds. All chickadees. 1 died. There appears to be a big abundance of them now, rather than HOSP. I counted a local flock of about 6 HOSP. Although there numbers are down, I've euthanized plenty in the past seasons, and another possible breeding factory was shut down...a few still linger. Enough to still cause some problems. I have many natives feeding. My yard doesn't look like the best place for trapping HOSP. I guess there's too many natives.

Comments (13)