SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

The Magic Halo anti-house sparrow project

paulsiu
13 years ago

I notice that I am going through 40 lbs of seed in 2 weeks. The main culprit appears to be these giant flock of house sparrows that show up during the winter. Last year, I was able to repel them using a 3 foot diameter ring made of soft drawn copper pipe. Unfortunately, squirrels then started using it as landing pad from trees to get to the feeder and I took it down.

This year, I decided to start with a smaller ring and see if it will work. I went to Menards and purchase some 5 foot PEX tubing for $2 and form it into a 1.5 feet diameter loop. The pex tubing is better than the copper since it's holds its shape. I attached it to the tub feeder with some twine. I did not use the hanging wires. I was curious to see if the smaller ring would still work.

Results

* All HOSP were repelled.

* Chickadee's were not afraid of ring and actually used it as a perch.

* Woodpecker ignored the ring and use the feeder as normal.

* Gold finches were not afraid of the ring.

* House finches were mildy afraid of the ring, but mostly because they try to land on it and it wiggled around.

* Many of the cardinals are afraid to use the feeder.

At the end of the day, the seed consumption was much lower than before the ring. I notice a larger number of house finches visiting the feeder. I suppose for many, that would be replacing one pest with another. However, there aren't that man house finches in the winter, so this is acceptable.

I took it down and is revamping the ring. I'll replace the twine with some hobby wire and attach it more securely to the cap. I think the wiggling of the halo scares the cardinals. Ideally, I should be able to repel just the house sparrows.

Paul

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery