SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ditnc

Did black plastic mulch fry my tomato plants?

ditnc
10 years ago

I have a raised bed which gets afternoon sun from 2pm on. I know it's not optimal that they're in shade until receiving a direct hit by the highest heat of the day, but it's what I have to work with.

In the spring, I covered the bed with black (shiny) plastic to warm up the soil. When I planted, I left it in one section, and cut holes to plant.

I have lost 3 tomato plants. While they normally wilt significantly during the heat of the say, it was very severe this season on several of the plants. The very tips of upper growth (newest leaves) wilted extremely, but then did not perk back up when the heat subsided. Other branches turned yellow and the plants then failed.

When I pulled the most recent casualty today, it occurred to me that maybe the black plastic made the soil too hot.

I'm in central NC, where it has been hot, humid as can be (dew points in the 70's, temps in upper 80's, a few 90's). We have lo had several periods of high rains, but not constant. The casualties were: 2 Black Krim and 1 Mortgage Lifter.

I have never seen top new leaf wilt from heat, without recovery, like this in prior years, and I have grown there for at least 5 years. I don't see spider mites or any other lethal pests.

Any udeas about whether the plastic could have killed them? ( I pulled the rest of the pkastic up.)

TIA!

Comments (4)