SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jwstell42

Securing Black Plastic Mulch in Raised Beds

jwstell42
15 years ago

Hi Everyone - I have a question that I'm sure someone has had to deal with in the past.

I use black plastic mulch extensively in my garden, due to my zone - it really does allow me to plant earlier, and give those seedlings a big head start.

Last year I had a traditional garden, so to secure the black plastic, I just dug a trench on either side of my garden, laid the plastic down, and buried the last few inches of it under the garden soil. This worked great and it held the entire growing season.

This year I am switching to raised bed gardening, and I guess I can't figure out how to secure the black plastic without giving up a lot of space in the raised beds (which I obviously want to use 100% of the space in them, as that's why I put so much effort into building them!).

I suppose for the ones made out of wood, I "could" either staple it to the wood and or nail some trim to the wood with the plastic in between. However, many of my beds are made out of recycled plastic, so that isn't an option for those.

Any ideas out there for how to secure it? I'd hate to have to take rocks and have to lay it all over the bed to keep it from blowing around!

Thanks for your help!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations