SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clfo_gw

Self Publishing

clfo
19 years ago

For all writers who have a good idea and have been unable to find a publisher let's talk about self publishing. There was a great seminar about this at GWA, and it has made me realize that there has been little discussion of self publishing here.

I had two books published by a publisher who went under, and the rights reverted to me. I chose to publish the regional book myself so that I could actually make some money from it. It was not difficult to do. I used Dan Poynter's book, The Self-Publishing Manual for a guide, and it led me step by step through the process.

I decided to self-publish because the book was regional, and therefore not a problem for distribution and marketing  it almost sells itself. Of the 2,000. books I had printed in the summer of 2003, only 250 remain. I will have to do a reprinting soon.

I do NOT do as good a job of promotion as I should, in that I should be calling the bookstores every other week to see if they need books, and I'd rather be gardening.

Since the job of being a marketer and distributor of my own book is not my first love, I would never choose to self-publish a book that is not regional, but for those of you have more energy, this is a good option.

If you are just getting into this, know that self published books should be black and white for the most part  color is very expensive. Other then that go to it! C.L.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor