SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinetree30

Barnes & Noble Unfriendly to Plant Books

pinetree30
16 years ago

I visited the B&N store in Fair Oaks, CA today, to see what's new in plant books, specifically trees. There is no plant section, and there was only one putrid tree book in the Nature section. When I complained, I was directed to the Gardening section at the other end of the store, over by Home Improvements. Well, there were no plant books or tree books there either -- everything was strictly gardening and landscaping.

A manager told me that plant/tree books don't sell fast enough, so now if you order one they will get it from their warehouse, but they won't display it in the store.

As a writer of tree books, I think this sucks, and that B&N shows itself unworthy of their stranglehold over the book market. How long before other big book-box stores follow their lead? And publishers start saying no to plant books because the majors won't display them?

Time was when a bookseller was a person who loved books and had a passion to make them available to the public, whether they sat around for a while or not. Selling books was a calling; a public trust; an indispensable aid to the continuance of our civilization. But at least to this B&N store, it's just another way to make a buck, and to hell with the consequences.

Incidentally, in this store the Science section took up only one-fifth of the space devoted to Science Fiction; and one fourth of the space devoted to comic books.

If this is the future, to hell with it.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022