SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gloriab3

NEW: 6500 daylily traveling angels 6500 wow!

gloriab3
18 years ago

This round robin is an extention of a wonderful group of traders, the Traveling Daylilies, who when at all possible trade daylilies. We have the most awesome group of traders, proven, experienced, honest, giving, sharing and awesome loving people. The way into this group is to have traded and proven yourself honest. We are not snobs, we just want to protect each other and you from any game traders... should there be any. If you know any of us, email privately and they will be allowed to get you in on their recommendation. We'd love to have you!

We are currently doing our November "thankful" swap.

WOW HAVE WE COME ALONG WAY!

MAKE SURE YOU ALL LOOK AT OUR FRIEND FLOWERSFORME123 ON EBAY AS SHE HAS TONS OF GOOD SALES ON BULBS NOW.... SHE MARKED THINGS DOWN... WOO WOO.. DONT FORGET, SHE EMAILED ME SPECIAL TO TELL YALL...

i SO WANTED TO PRINT MY NAME HERE... PAUL IS BACK IN THE CORNER... POOR PAUL.... REAL M AND M'S THIS TIME!

HUGS TO alL

Comments (107)

• cody_mi
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

ellen
    i would love some of the brug cuttings!! still trying to rebuild the tropicals collection after the disaster of 2003!!

still looking for my recipe notebook!

anyone have any topical waterlilies to trade?

• veeja11
    18 years ago

I am on my third pleco, they keep getting too big for my tank and I trade them in, once the glass is clean I feed them algae pellets. here is another try Shirley or send me a graphic you would like me to use
    thankyou carol

• Related Discussions

NEW: Traveling Daylilies (Pictures)

Q

Comments (55)
    Thanks Shirley & Nancy. : ) I didn't notice the "smoke cloud" until after I got home and loaded the pics into my computer. Nancy, the entire exterior of our house will be brick, w/ possibly some stonework here and there. Not sure yet. We'll make it up as we go. But mainly brick (same as chimney). We bricked our current home back when we were remodeling it and DH did some "fancy" stuff....we've got several brick arches, quoined corners, etc. We aren't going to be doing much of that on the new house. I'm going for a simple, rustic look. The front of the house will have a porch or deck all the way across.....it's kind of hard to explain. I think we will be using a material such as Trex to build it. We are looking for no maintenance for the entire exterior and don't want to have to paint, stain, etc. anything. I've picked all of our colors to match very closely, but to have slight differences. Like the shingles, for example. They are overall only about 1 or 2 shades darker than the brick, but have mixed colors in them. One of the colors matches the brick perfectly. Well, i've got to get ready to head over there....we started working on installing a gate at the end of our driveway last night which involved much more than you would think. DH is building large soil berms (planting beds!!!!) along the road to keep anyone from driving in. In the midst of all of this, he dug up a buried telephone line and tore it in half. You can only imagine how furious he is. This was never marked by the utility company when we first started our building process and it should have been. So now we are at a stand-still until someone decides to come out and look at it today. I thought it would have affected neighbors (no phone service?), but nobody called to report it yet (maybe because they don't have a working phone??? LOL). We're hoping it's an old line, or maybe an unused one. It never ends....... HUGS, ~Dawn (mamabirrd) PS: No baby yet! C'mon Talon!! : ) I am soooooo sore and am barely able to waddle along.
    ...See More

UPDATE: 9900---Traveling Daylilies

Q

Comments (100)
    Hi TDLs - The sad news of Carmen's death hurt so. She was hoping to beat the cancer and was to young to leave this beautiful world. We're pottering along. Things take me a long time with my left hand now in a splint. It's still about as limited as it was in the cast. Today and yesterday we set out Dianthus at the top of our rocky bank with a thirsty maple at the top. Not many flowers prosper there, but we've finally found a short list that do. We have these daylilies in bloom: Strange Eyes Happy Returns Black Eyed Stella Courtly Love Forsyth Lemon Drop Navy Blues Bertie Ferris Small Gesture Breakfast at Tiffany's Olive Bailey Langdon Mimosa Umbrella Barbie Doll Shelby Charmer Sanford House Raindrop Sure is pretty for a new garden! Talon is getting big fast! Maybe you do have a linebacker there, Dawn! He is such a handsome baby. You three make the cutest family! I'll try to post more later. Hugs all around Barb
    ...See More

UPDATE: 8600+ Traveling Daylilies....Holy Smokes!!!!!

Q

Comments (103)
    Bambi-Yeah...welcome to our group. So glad you wanted to be a part of this group. I have two grown children, a daughter and a son. My daughter has our only two grandchildren, Brittney (16 yrs) and Dawson (2 years). They live beside me and I love it. A white fence separates our homes and my DH says once Dawson passes through the fence its sanctuary to him (no spankings on our side). AS you know I LOVE SPIDERS. How many times did I change my mind as to which ones I wanted to trade for? You had too many that I wanted. I live close to the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. I work at Zickgraf Hardwood Company, they make hardwood floors. I am in the purchasing department, I along with two others help buy the wood that makes the hardwood floors. Been there 24 years next February. Dawn-Loved your recent update it's really coming along now. 200 hostas? I say you must love them. We need pictures when you get done planting all those. Barb-What a beautiful scene. When I first looked at it I thought someone had retaken a picture out of a magazine. Just beautiful and so peaceful looking. 80 acres? I want to come and live with you, you want even know that I am there. My 3 acres is almost full already. I visted Ohio 10 years ago. Went to see the Amish. Gosh I love the way those folks live. I could really get into that. Jo- I hope to work on our trade this week-end. Weed pulling and digging is just about to do me in. They grow wheather it rains or not. Volleyball has started back also. I can't believe I am playing this year. I got a brace for my ankle and I tighten it very tight and off I go. My DH said if I damage it worse than it already is he does not want to hear about it. I had two girls that can not play this year so I could not let the team down by quitting too. Bambi-Let Cindy know if you want to be in on this swap. Thursday is the deadline to sign up. I sent you the rules of the group. Shirley
    ...See More

UPDATE: Traveling Daylilies 6200

Q

Comments (108)
    well oh my gosh...... jo jo jo... are you kidding me??/ that is sooooooooo awesome.... youll be growing things for everyone!!!!! Jo, start with dahlis grin! thats awesome! novembers trade is... marea will you post this on the first post if you post again... so all will know... first we need a list of all those that did sign up,,,,, then we need someone to assign partners,,,, whos gonna do that.... the dahlia trade is secondary!!!!!!! its a side deal... shirley.... wheres the dahlia farm.... where where where... how many dahlias in a bucket for ten... please send me the list please please.... but not threw here.... have to do private email.... jo may i suggest that dec one is alot of work for you to do.. maybe roll it over till after the holidays???? mercy girl! oh ok???? here we go..... novemebers trade.. i pick dawn... so maria thats gloria Has dawn... i love being first! 1. write in a note why you are thanksfull for them.. 2. send them something speciai... 3 something new... 4 something old... 5 something blue... 6 something that smells good... 7 something that dont,,, 8 something they REALLy want,,, and even something they wont,,, 9 something for their very own personal self... 10 and something that will make the rest of us wish that we were all on the senders list!!! now i know this may seem a liitle hard, but its really not... and oh by the way... these must be sent out by thanks giving..... and there will be a winner.... ahhhhhhhh you all just love "winner games" dont yah! BUT beware..... the winner is decided on not what you send..... but...... grin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FLOWERSFORME123 ON EABY HAS BULBS ON SALE! MORE GRINS....
    ...See More
  • TakingRoot
    18 years ago

Afternoon All,

I tried to post a message earlier and it just disappeared!

So I'll try it again.....

Oh no, did I forget to include that you must brown your ground beef first? Please make sure that get's on the receipe, thanks!

Jo~ Thanks soooo much for a BEAU-TEE-FUL picture, once again, they are always so lovely! You should enlarge them and frame them....you have a good 'eye'!! Your pitcher plant looks GREAT! and mine looks so pit-tee-ful...what's your secret? Hope you get your heater issue resolved.

Canna~ Thanks for the siggy! It looks great! Now if I can remember how to save it....someone get the butter out....lol

Shirley~ handsome young man there!

Cindy~ Awesome Daylily...in my favorite colors, too.

Paul~ You must like being in the corner....we're all gonna' have to bail you out with a truckload of M&M's....(grin)

Cody~ maybe you can help me....I have a brug that has very soft velvety/fuzzy leaves and I don't know what it could be. Got it in a trade....do you or anyone else have any idea's?

Dawn~ Nice tank! I can't keep my Pleco's in the MEANIE tank (chiclids, jack dempsey, convicts, firemouth, jewel, etc.) They will try to eat them and seem to see it as FOOD...but in my other tanks they do fine and grow well, mine seem to like it between 75-78 degrees...PH of 5.5 to 6.0. (just my experience).

Hub came home yesterday with my dream truck just for me!
    I have been wanting this truck for a very looooong time....and wow, I can't believe it's really mine! I'm blown away....so I will be taking it on it's first road trip this weekend to Flordia...of course gotta' find a garden center... he's also building me a HUGE 3 sided box (enclosed) with 2 shelves...I'm going to put shoplights (hanging) on each level...should keep it about 78 degrees in there. The front I'm going to enclose with 9 mil plastic....It's going to be my mini-greenhouse/seed starter box...gonna' put caster's on it so I can roll it around...I'll keep a few of the finiky plants in there also....wish it could be a greenhouse but for now until it's built this is in lieu of...

The recipe's sound great...gonna' to try a few!

Everyone have a FABULOUS FRIDAY!

Jaye

• brittneysgran
    18 years ago

Glora-Get your head out of that box of dahlias. I hope you got them!!!!!! LMK

Ok irises, irises. I finally got ahold of Leona at A&L fantasy gardens about the irises. She does have enough for all the ones that have been asked for.
    Anita-Have you down for 360. 10 of each variety
    Jo-Have your 36 down. Is this right?
    MaryB-LMK which ones you want.
    Annie-LMK which ones you want. Need your list now.
    Cindy-LMK which ones you want.
    Ellen-LMK which ones you want. I won't need the money until Spring when I go and pick them up.

Anyone else please LMK which ones you wanted.

Sherry here is daylily Peggy Jeffcoat that you liked:

Cindy-I love Wild Horses too. I'm really excited about all the new doubles that I added to my gardens this year. Added quite a few spiders to.

Debbie-My zip code is 28734 . Love that sparkly DEBBIE.
    Good job.

Carol-whew I love both those last two that you did. Thank you so much. Looks like we will all have one soon.

Cody-Dig those recipes out. Get in on this cook book deal.
    I have a cake recipe to share when I get it baked. It's called Blackberry Wine Cake. Everyone at church was asking for the recipe and said its wonderful. If I think so I will post the recipe.

All November Birthdays. HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY
    Cathy-Paul-Becky-Cindy-Carmen

Susie-Your babies have really grown. Neat to watch their growth. Thanks for sharing.

Sharon-About your brug question. You can leave them in water or pot them up. I find it is easier to leave them in water. I potted them up one year and they are bad to get some kind of spider and bugs on them. Be careful about mulching daylilies with leaves. They are bad to cause mold. I read about it one year, went out and checked mine, and sure enough it was there. I only use pine needles and wood shavings or mulch.

One of my favorite irises: Gina the Gypsy

Annie I think this is one that I sent you in our trade.
    Frosted Rose

Carol-I love it!!!!!!!!! I owe you girl.

• luvmybulbs
    18 years ago

Hey guys, how are you doing? I have been reading here and there trying to catch up. I see there are a lot of new people. From what I can see, Paul must be a naughty boy, every time I log on he is in the corner :o)

I should get DSL Tues. so hopefully it works and I can get back to business.

Shirley those Iris are awesome.

All this talk about brugs-Susan sent me a brug last year. I actually kept the darn thing alive all winter and through the summer. The thing is that it hasn't grown. It is still a stick with 4 leaves. What am I doing wrong?????

Can I have a cool signature too please!!!!!!

Also, who know anything about pumpkin seeds. Last year I had a white pumpkin dried the seeds and planted them. I got nadda, nothing!!!! But my gourds came up. What am I doing wrong??

Missed all you guys!!

Angie

• raggedyann161420
    18 years ago

Happy Birthday to all of you this month.

Shirley, thanks for asking about the iris, give me 2 of each that is listed, and yep I traded you for the Frosted Rose.

Have to get ready for work.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• raggedyann161420
    18 years ago

I love all the daylilies that have been posted ....Darn, I'm having "winter withdrawls" already. WAAAAAAAAA!!!

LIFE IS GOOD,
    {{gwi:26777}}

• brittneysgran
    18 years ago

Angie-Did you water them ALOT and feed them? They are water lovers and heavy feeders. Sometimes I think it is just the brug itself. Some will just take off and I have had a few grow so slow.

• ellenh
    18 years ago

Hi everyone,

I didn't get to pick up the brugs today. Work kept me busy till past dark. I'll be picking them up tomorrow. Here's a partial list of what I think I'll be getting.
    Butterfly in pot 10 feet tall
    Creamsickle- BEAUTIFUL standard shape in ground must
    dig- four feet tall
    Arlene's Pink Beauty in ground 7 feet tall must dig
    Rosamond in ground 7 feet tall must dig
    Trash Can seedling in pot 5 feet tall
    Mayan Magic in pot 5 feet tall
    Misc. brugs all over must dig....
    When I get the brugs, I'll post exactly what I have and everyone can pick what they want. There will certainly be enough!

Angie - what the brugs love is lots of water and food. They are tropical. Mine barely moved until I gave it some osmocote and miracle grow and watered it well on a regular basis. They really seemed really shine like that. Planting it directly into the garden really makes them big too.

Cody - I think I'll have plenty of brug cuttings for everyone. Do you want me to start yours for you?

Mary - yes I wanted the Stuttgart. I should probably get it in the spring. This is my first winter overwintering Cannas and I can't be sure that I'll do it right.

Shirley - I'll take a look at the list. How bout one of each ;). Only kidding, gotta keep the spending in check.

Anyone grow Maypops (hardy passiflora)? Do you trim them back in the fall/winter/spring? Mine got HUGE. Really overshadowed my baby clematis plants.

Cindy - Gina the Gypsy is really nice!

Next year, what do you guys & gals think - iris and hosta swaps too? How bout Canna & Brugs?

Time to go to sleep now Gotta get up early and get ready to dig & dig & dig. It's gonna feel like Christmas!

Ellen

• ellenh
    18 years ago

I just saw a cutting from our dear friend Susan's Axelrose Brugmansia named.... Axelrose sell for over $20.00! Somehow it seems like sacrilege to sell something like that which was named in memory of Susan's dear companion. Don't ya think?

Ellen

• ellenh
    18 years ago

Dawn - I'm kicking myself to the corner. Sent you an email - my sincere apologies, spoke too quickly. It's a special plant to me and should be shared too.

Ellen

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

ellen
    anything would be so totally appreciated!

• onesherri
    18 years ago

Hi everyone, had a crazy week but trying to catch up. Had dentist appt's, doctor appt's and Jakes sleep study. It is starting to look like his breathing trouble was caused from his tonsils being to large. Fingers crossed that it is that simple.

You boys just can't stand it if your not competing. :) Haven't you learned by now Girls can do anything boys can do and even better. :)

I must have some of those brugs and iris. Did I miss the list? Will go back and check.

Cindy, glad to see your having time to tease us all with pics. Has work finally slowed down?

You guys are all making me hungry with all these awesome recipes. I will have to have a copy of this cookbook.
    Have one to add. :)

Chicken divan

1 lg broccoli crown or 2 10 oz pkgs of frozen broccoli
    2 cups of cooked chicken (3 chicken breasts)
    2 cans of cream of chicken soup
    1 cup of mayonaisse
    1/2 tsp of curry powder
    1/2 cup shredded sharp cheese
    Steam or cook broccoli until just tender, drain. Then place in 13 x 9 baking dish and cover with chicken pieces. Combine the mayo, curry powder and cheese and pour over top of chicken and broccoli. Bake for 30 minutes in 350 degree oven.

Reuben casserole
    1 cup of sour cream
    1 lg diced onion
    1lb corned beef
    1 lg can of saurkraut,drained
    1 lb of swiss cheese, greated
    8 slices of rye bread, crumbled
    1 cup melted butter

Mix sour cream and onion and spread in 13x9 pan. Layer the sauerkraut, crumbled meat, cheese and then top with bread crumbs. Drizzle margarine over bread crumbs and bake for 45 minutes at 350.
    this one is hubby's favorite.

One more for the healthy. :)
    Tex Mex lasagna

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray 9x13 baking dish.
    Combine
    1 can of hormel chili with chicken
    1 16 oz jar of salsa (drained)
    1 4 oz can of mushrooms (optional)
    3/4 cup of fat-free grated parmesan cheese
    1 1/2 tsp of italian seasoning

separate small bowl...combine
    1 1/2 cups of fat free cottage cheese
    1 1/2 tsp parsley flakes

Other ingredients needed are 9 cooked lasagna noodles, and 21/2 cups of fat free mozzarella cheese.

Now the layers. :)
    Line the bottom of the dish with 3 noodles, dot 1/3 of the cottage cheese mixture on then spread evenly with 1/3 of the chili mixture and sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese.
    repeat this process two more times.
    Bake uncovered for 30 - 40 minutes.
    This is an awesome recipe for diet food. Have made this with all fattening ingredients too. Even better. :)

Ok, better go......everyone have a great weekend. Sherri

• juspeachy
    18 years ago

Morning to all my wonderful plant addict enablers,

It is very chilly here, but OH so pretty, The sun is shining and it is gorgeous out.
    We are leaving in a few minutes to start tearing down the greenhouse structure. It is down to just the skeleton now.

(((Shirley)))
    I would LOVE to trade you for one of each of your "Gina the Gypsy" and "frosted rose" come spring. Please keep me in mind if you have enough to share. I was an iris addict, before I became a daylily addict. But, most of my iris are un named. I got them from a local hybridizer, but no names.

Carol,
    Love your babies. I have tiels too. Mine are getting quite old now though. They had babies many years ago. I just loved watching them grow. They are so much fun. I had one I purchased as a baby,that went "everywhere" with me, he rode around on my shoulder, and was as good as gold. He went shopping, and walking, he loved to go bicycle riding. I miss him, he died many years ago, an old man. I will miss my tiels very much once they are gone, but I won't be getting any more, I work way too much to pay them the attention they need. Mine were used to getting on my shoulder and sitting with me, and of course climbing down my arm and involving themselves in whatever I was working on. But that doesn't happen much any more.
    Will you be keeping your little guys, or will you sell them. I couldn't bear to part with mine.

Jaye,
    We built my bog garden a couple years ago. It is a mixture of peat and sand-5 to 1. Never fertilize, it will kill them. They get all their nutrients from the insects. Occasionally they need to be flooded. They didn't do as well this year as last, due to our severe drought. I watered and watered, but couldn't seem to keep ahead of them. I am leaving them out this year, I brought them in last winter. But, this year we have built a "teepee" over the bog, and I will keep an eye on it. An experiment, we will see if it works.

Dianne,
    I have your box almost ready to go. I hope to have it out Mon. Will let you know.

Time to go,
    Have a fantastic day all,

Hugs,
    Jo/juspeachy

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

silly sherri
    i'd like to see you pee your name in the snow!! lol. girls CAN do almost anything boys can do and the reverse is true!

anyway here are my recipes, the ones i've created will have a C. at the end of the name.

RHUBARB OATMEAL BARS
    2c. rolled oats
    1c. brown sugar
    1/4t. salt
    1/4t. baking soda
    1 1/2c. flour
    1c. shortening

crust: combine all ingredients until crumbly. pat 1/2 the mixture into a 13x9x2 pan.

3c. chopped rhubarb
    1 1/2c. sugar
    2T. cornstarch
    1/4c. water
    1t. vanilla

filling: combine rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch and water in saucepan, cook until clear. blend in vanilla. pour over crust. sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

SCALLOPED ASPARAGUS
    4c. fresh asparagus
    1 1/2c. milk
    2T. flour
    1t. salt
    1/2t. pepper
    1/2c. grated cheddar cheese
    1c. bread crumbs
    2T. butter

preheat oven to 325. cook asparagus in a little water until tender, drain and put in baking dish. combine milk, flour, salt, pepper together and add to asparagus. add the cheese and 1/2 of the bread crumbs, stir. dot with butter, sprinkle with remaining crumbs. bake for 30 min or until brown on top.

CREAMY POTATO SALAD (C.)
    8 lg potatoes; peeled, diced and cooked till tender
    2 lg celery stalks, diced
    1 med onion, diced
    1 med tomatoe, diced
    12 eggs, hardboiled and chopped
    1 1/2c. mayo
    3/4c. mustard
    1c. ranch dressing
    1/2c. sour cream
    1T. white vinegar
    1T. dill
    1T. garlic, roasted and minced
    salt and pepper to taste

mix all ingredients in a large bowl and serve chilled.

SPICEY ALASKAN MEATLOAF (C.)
    2 lbs hamburger
    1 lbs choriso, ground
    1 med onion, minced
    1 lg celery stalk, minced
    1 egg
    1T. garlic, minced
    1c. crushed cornflakes/saltines/bread crumbs(your choice)
    1/2c. mushrooms, sliced or one can of 'shrooms
    1t. ginger, ground

filling:
    1 1/2c. yellow mustard
    1/2c. relish
    2c. cheddar cheese, shredded

mix first nine ingredients in large bowl. spread in a fairly thin layer in a baking pan. spread filling over half of the meat mixture. fold meat in half to enclose the filling. you can top with more cheese and jalapenos if you want. cover with foil and bake at 425 for 45 min-1 hour or until done.

FRIED SWEET POTATOES (C.)
    2 med sweet potatoes, sliced
    1 lg onion, sliced
    1t. garlic, minced
    1T. worchester sauce
    olive oil

heat oil in large frying pan. add the sliced s. pots., garlic and onion to the pan and fry over a medium to low heat. when almost tender add the worchester sauce. salt and pepper to taste, continue to cook until tender. serve hot with a dot of butter on top.

BROCCOLI SALAD
    2 heads broccoli, cut in bite size chunks
    1/4-1/2c. green onion, chopped
    1/2c. raisins
    1c. mayo
    1T. vinegar (more if you want)
    1t. sugar
    salt and pepper to taste

mix everything in a bowl and serve cold. if you peel the stems of the broccoli, they can be sliced and added to the salad as well.

VEGETABLE DIP
    1 1/3c. sour cream
    1 1/3c. mayo
    2t. dill
    2t. seasoned salt
    1 1/2t. parsley
    2T. onion, minced
    1t. worchester sauce
    4 drops tabasco

mix all ingredients together and serve chilled.

is this enough recipes for you or do you still need more? i have boxes and boxes of them.

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Ya know Cody, I have never had the desire to pee my name in the snow. Paul since men are better at graphics could you add a couple of roosters to this one please. thankyou carol

• pchanggeo
    18 years ago

Like this? :)

{{gwi:1309655}}

Going back to the corner now... but before I go, I have some Suav. White and Pink Beauty brugmansia cuttings available. Email me if you'd like some. Thank you.

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Great, but if Joey is still here we need three roosters, Mama please let our friend Paul out of the corner. He really is a good boy, just feeling his oats lately. Those are some tough looking roosters, don't look like flower growing types.
    hugs to all carol

• onesherri
    18 years ago

Cody, LOL. A challenge indeed. Think I better pass though, I don't like the snow with my clothes on. LOL

Paul, you did a nice job with those sigs.

And yes Debbie you do look pretty. :)

Oh and Shirley thanks again for that wild horses. :) It was nice to see a pic of something that I am dying to have only to realize Oh I have that one. :) Can't wait for it to bloom.

I don't know about anybody else but it drives me crazy waiting a whole year to get to see a plant bloom.

Have a question about clematis. Can they be grown from seed? I have tons of white fluff balls on my jackmanni. I had to do some yard work right beside it and when I was done I was covered in seed. Sherri

• juspeachy
    18 years ago

HI EVERYONE,

Got quite a bit done on the GH yesterday. May be going today, have more to do around the house first.
    We have decided we are going to make the greenhouse into 3. It will be one building, but we are going to partition it into 3 sections. One end will be the "cold" greenhouse, the other end will be the "giftshop", and the middle will be the "warm" greenhouse. It will help save on the energy needed to heat it by keeping it in the middle.

Sherri,
    Yes, you can grow them from seed, but they are very finicky. They must be stratified, hate to be wet,and some can take over a year to germinate. I did get a couple different ones to germinate for me this year. One is a mystery I got in a trade, the other is "radar love" .
    Go to the "seed germination database" for lots of great info on all types of seeds.

Carol,
    You crack me up. You Know? I have never had that desire either.

Shirley,
    Yes, 36. Thank you!!!!!

Dawn,
    Love your pleco. My son had one for many years. He was about 2-3 in. when we got him.He was nearly 12 in. long when we finally lost him about 7 years later. I thought he was awesome looking. Felt real bad we couldn't save him. We tried everything, and he still died. sniff. Hope yours lives to be a real oldie.

Jaye,
    Meant to say a BIG CONGRATS on your new truck.

Paul,
    Like the roosters, but couldn't you find ones that look a little more "gardenish"? And Carol is right, we need 3.

MAIN DISH RECIPES........
    I am going to be taking recipes till Tues. morning. Then I will be closing it, and moving on to the next section. SO.... if you have one you want to submit, you still have till then.

Lots to do,
    You all have a great day,

Jo/juspeachy

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

sherri
    clematis can be grown from seed, but if i'm remembering correctly they have a special requirement. i'll do some more research on it at work today and report back here for you!

paul
    i'd love some cuttings of pink beauty!

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

• mary_s
    18 years ago

Hi everyone!
    I am back! Quite some weather we have been having here in the midwest! Tornadoes nearby last evening. Sirens went off here. Sounds like some bad ones in central IA! My DS was at the ISU/Colorado football game last night. People had to evacuate from the stadium before the game due to tornado warnings! (Go ISU Cyclones!)

Here's one more recipe for the cookbook!
    Stuffed Manicotti:
    7 manicotti shells(1/2 box)cooked until soft
    1 lb hamburger, browned
    10 crushed saltine crackers
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    Combine ingredients and stuff into cooked shells. Place in baking dish.
    1-12 oz carton cottage cheese
    1-15 oz can tomato sauce
    1-16 0z can tomatoes
    1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
    Mix together and pour over stuffed shells. Top with 6 oz shredded mozarella cheese. bake for 1 hour at 350, uncovered.You folks with bigger families may want to double the recipe!

How do you do all those cute signatures. Would someone make me one? Hostas?

Here is a picture I took this weekend at our lake. I will do one of the house next time I post. MaryS

{{gwi:1309659}}

• namso
    18 years ago

Carol and paul, too funny!

Shirley, love both those iris pics. awesome.
    Order - put me down for one of each, i better get motivated to do that new bed soon now :). Thankyou!!
    Sherri - better here now, sent you mail :).

Jaye - grats on the truck. and i love those colors too.

Jo - you must be so exited to nearly have all the greenhouse. hope the weather holds for you.

Ellen - i love your idea.

Cindy O/namso

• onesherri
    18 years ago

Jo, thanks for the link on the clematis seed. As it turns out I have a sand box that won't be used this winter so I will just throw the seeds in it and see what happens. I really don't have any room for any more but it will be fun to see what I get out of it. And since I don't need anymore they will probably all germinate. :)

I don't know but those roosters look like they are getting ready to bop those bickering chickens in the nose. :) Sherri

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Paul, here's you a rooster...

...or maybe this one?

{{gwi:1309661}}

~Canna

• namso
    18 years ago

back again...

Mary S, wow what a great view!! awesome. glad those tornados passed you by.

Dawn, cool fish and nice tank :).

Sherri, ..i knew you had wild horses lol. isn't that funny, half the time i don't know what i have.

Gentlemen, hopefully you are writing your names in the snow After doing the snow angels:).

Shirley, also have been trying to add more doubles and spiders. This one was my new fav double, i really liked the color.
    Double Image
    {{gwi:1309663}}

Club meeting today...looks like we (Columbus OH) are trying to host the nationals in 2012. that would be sool cool if it happens :)
    oh if anyone doesn't know and is close they are being held in Long Island next year.

Cindy O/namso

• User
    18 years ago

Jo, your Thanksgiving box will be ready sometime this week. I'll post when it's mailed. Did I send my (actually Martha Stewart's) Macaroni & Cheese recipe for the main dish section? I think it was in the original file.

I have to share this with you all. I was Christmas shopping yesterday in a Connecticut craft shop and came across this little painted sign. I stood in the shop roaring laughing over it:

"Raising children is like being pecked to death by a duck."

Still cracks me up.

Dianne/dian57

• marybz5ny
    18 years ago

Good Morning Everyone,
    Wow, what a weekend we had. Sunny and temps in the 60's. Still trying to get the last of the yard work done - never ending.

Shirley, your Stuttgart went out on Saturday. As far as the iris, I would like one of each EXCEPT these: Congratulations, After the Dawn, Edith Wolford, Snow Cloud, Jesse's Song, Superstition. I have these 6 already. So, I will owe you $30 plus postage in the Spring. Thanks so much for doing this for us!

Ellen, tagged a Stuttgart for you in Spring.

Cody, what the heck is choriso???

Annie, is Bobbie okay in Iowa?

Glad to see you check in, MaryS.

All the recipes are sounding great. Can't wait to try some of the main dishes.

Gotta run. Need to have everybody up and out the door early today.

Have a good one,
    MaryB

• skohler
    18 years ago

carmen Happy belated birthday
    HOPE YOU HAD A GREAT DAY

susie

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Morning all!

Happy Birthday to all the Scorpios and Sagittarius! My DH, Doug, has his birthday on the 21st.

I spent a beautiful Sunday afternoon cleaning up the beds a bit. We haven't had a killing frost yet, but some tenders were looking ragged, along with my cannas, so down they went. Doug put in a new 3/4 view storm door in the kitchen, and I can actually see outside while sitting here at the 'puter.

I have an orchid blooming! I didn't know to remove the sticky dew as the buds were emerging, so they got stuck and bloomed all wrinkly. I am still a newb. with orchids.

Epidendrum cilare

Marys, what a beautiful view! I see some fishin' in your future. Doug was looking at property on a lake last night on the internet. He is wanting to put our house up for sale next summer. I am not ready to move! I emailed you a sig, did you get it?

Our daylily meeting was Saturday evening. In November, we always have a slide show and tell of our members. One thing that everyone requested was when they showed their seedlings and intros, to include photos of the parents too so that we can see the traits that were passed along. Doug and I showed our stuff for the first time. I was so nervous, but got nice comments. NOW Doug wants to show at Myrtle Beach next week! Jo, I need your rubber glove!

I have been nursing my orange tabby, Sago, back to health the past few weeks. He was impaled in the stomach with something. It is a about a 1 inch hole that goes really deep. Luckily I feed him to much and it did not go all the way inside his gut. I would say it is a couple of inches deep (all fat). It was already badly infected when I discovered it. He has been going to the vet every three days to be checked. I thought I was going to loose him one night. The only thing we can think of that injured him was all the construction debris from our house being worked on. Doug and I have to irrigated his wound every day and give him antibiotics. The infection is all gone and now I have to wait for it to heal on it's own.

Marea, I am still gathering and making for your box! I should have it out the end of this week, probably Saturday.

Paul, did you see that I wrote my name in the snow, LOL! I tried the pineapple barbecue chicken wings for supper last night but changed it. I put chicken breast into my crockpot on low for 6 hours. Drained the fat, then cut into cubes and added chunked pineapple and a bottle of BBQ. Mixed it up and let it continue on low for about 30 minutes while fixing sides.

Is that considered a recipe, Jo? LOL! I love my crockpot! Didn't we do a crockpot section?

Alrighty, now that I have written a novel, I need to get busy on something.

Ya'll have a great day!

~Canna

• gloriab3
    Original Author
    18 years ago

i JUST SENT YOU ALL OUT A EMAIL.... WILL EXPLAIN REASON FOR THAT EMAIL LATER...

WELL NOW WORKS...

SONS COMPANY WENT BELLY UP...
    DONT TELL
    SON GOT ANOTHER JOB
    AWESOME
    SON WILL MAKING 800.00 A MONTH LESS
    NOT GOOD
    SON HAS TO BORROW 800.00 A MONTH FROM ME...
    SON IS THE MOST AWESOME PERSON ON THE PLANET...
    IM NOT KIDDING AT ALL..

DONT HAVE TIME TO TELL ALL BUT SOME FOLKS REALLY TOOK ADVANTAGE OF HIM.. OFFERING TONS OF STUFF THAT NEVER CAME TO PASS... i DONT WANT HIM TO LOSE HIS HOME ECT ECT...
    i TS THE WORSE TIME ON EBAY NOW DUE TO PRODUCT SALES AND TIME OF YEAR....

SO THE CHRISTMAS WREATH IDEA MIGHT HELP ..

SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT IDEA A WHILE BACK...
    NO BRAINS..
    ANYWAYS,,,, IF YOU HAVE GARDEN FRIENDS EMAIL LINK PLEASE...

NOW FOR THE GOOD THINGS..

iM ALIVE THO HEAD STILL BANGIN

THESE IS THE BEST THREAD WE HAVE HAD IN AWHILE,,,
    SOOOO FUNNY

PAUL YES COME OUT OF THE CORNER,,,,

BUT,,, YOU MUST CHANGE YOUR ROOSTER LOOK AS YOU LOOK MAD THAT YOUVE BEEN IN THE CORNER AND WE ALL KNOW LIFE IS IN THE ATTITUDE...

SO BEING IN THE CORNER MUST TEACH YOU TO SMILE ABOUT IT.. LOL

HAVE YOU ALL NOTICED.. THOUGHT JUST LEFT ME... BUMMER DEAL

OH SHIRLEY I GOT MY DAHLIA GARDEN... GIRL I CANT BELIEVE THAT BIG OL BOX WAS ONLY 7.00 WOW!!!!!

AGAIN THANKS SO MUCH...

jO.... CAN WE PLEASE HAVE A PORTION OF THE RECIOPE BOOK FOR OUR BEST THANKSGIVNG RECIPE... YOU KNOW LIKE WHAT WE ALWAYS HAVE TO MAKE FOR THE FAMILY...

IM RUNNING OUT OF IDEAS AND WANT SOMETHING DIFFERENT THIS YEAR..

I THOUGHT ABOUT TOFU TURKEY AND THEN I WOKE UP FROM THAT NIGHTMARE... LOL
    LOVE YAH DAWN...

OK ILL BE ABCK

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

canna
    you don't have to remove the sap, just raise the humidity a bit and it shouldn't dry so much. it just means that your plant is very happy. taste it sometime, it's really sweet. it can tend to attract ants, so keep an eye on that!

mary
    choriso is a mexican sausage, a lot of times it's used for breakfasts. it's a red color and is kind of bitter and spicey.

• mary_s
    18 years ago

Good morning!
    No school today as our football team made it to the state playoffs! First time our shool ever made it that far! How exciting! DH could not get off to go but you can bet I will be listening to the game later! I am sure half the town of 5000 is there! HMMMMM....maybe I should go Christmas shopping. I am sure uptown will be dead!

Canna, I got your email and love the new sig...Sorry to hear your cat has been having a bad time. Hope he recovers fully!
    I can hardly wait to show you all what our lovely Canna did for me! (hint)It has HOSTAS on it!

These recipes are making me hungry!

All the talk of brugs and dahlias and iris is really making me wish it was spring! Beautiful pictures, by the way! I might like to try the brugs some day!Shirley sent me some datura seeds and they were awesome!

I have one more easy main dish...My kids love this. I may have sent it in when we started the cookbook thing

Chicken Casserole
    2 cups stuffing mix or 1 box "Stove Top"
    1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
    Mix together and place in a greased pan
    4 whole or 8 halved chicken breasts
    Place on top of stuffing
    Top each chicken breast with a slice of American cheese
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1/2 can milk
    Mix and Pour over chicken. Cover with foil and bake at 325 for 1 hr. Remove foil and bake 30 more minutes.

I have tried to post a pic of our new place but it is not working. Later....MaryS

• cannahavana
    18 years ago

Thanks for the tip, Cody! My orchid pal told me that he takes the sprayer from the sink and gently hoses the buds daily to help with the 'sticky situation'.

~Canna

• barbamaman
    18 years ago

Well howdy once again all -

Got over the cold that was actually flu in disguise, started figuring out photobucket so here goes a first try.....

Hmmmmmm......

Well.

'Scuse me while I go try to find the instructions on doing this posted on previous thread. I think.

Good grief. If DH wasn't a computer professional, I would be so dead...

Barb

• mary_s
    18 years ago

I think I got it!!! Look at what Canna made for me! Isn't she a sweetie?

{{gwi:1308714}}

• barbamaman
    18 years ago

Alrighty then, here we go again:

{{gwi:1309669}}Last bit of autumn

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!Thar she be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So much going on!

Thank you all so much for your kind concern for my daughter. Still no news as I think she is dealing with this well, but is not wanting to talk about it over and over and I respect that. She has good medical care and is a smart girl.

All the gorgeous daylilies and iris! I shall drool but must not get anything more til spring or DH will collapse. Or explode. Maybe both.....He's the brawn of this twosome.

But must drooooooolll......

And one last cooking thing:

Daylily buds, blooms and just closed flowers are delicious cooked like green beans, then stir fried and flavored with garlic black bean sauce!!!! (Am I in a corner forever now????)

We eat the wild daylilies all summer long, tho I don't intend to eat my fancy ones. Does anybody want specidic recipes? I have several...

Let's try 1 more photo to make sure I've got this.

{{gwi:1309671}}Shirthead Marie

DOUBLE WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She was about 10 days old after her 1st real bath and it was a real surprise to her....

On brugs - the tops I put in pots to root are doing nicely. I just firmed the soil first, drilled a hole the diameter of the stem, stuck it in, watered well, put in sticks to keep the plastic off the stems and leaves, bagged the works and set it by a bright window (no sun yet) and 4 out of 5 are growing fast. Some varieties are easier than others, but hey! I haven't worked my way thru the beautiful and easy ones yet! Why try the difficult ones? Later maybe.

The stem cuttings are still in the crisper, nice and firm and sleeping away! I'll pot them up next week and put them in the cellar til they leaf. Probably well after the holidays, I hope.

So sad reading of losses of loved ones. Gentle hugs to you all.

So fun seeing baby cockatiels grow up! Cute kids and grandkids too.

Hello to Paul and Annie and Meghan if I didn't say welcome before! Next year will be more fun with all of you here!

Such fabulous flowers! I hope I fit in here -- I do mostly shade plants, mostly the less flashy the better. It fits in with the woods.

(Says she who tries to grow cassias, cotton, tecoma stans, huge inulas, and 40' vines) I have iris too, just not a huge collection. I like the Japanese too.

The bats are all asleep. I think we'll just put some boarding right over our rough sawn board and batten siding so they'll be cozy against the house under the eaves and see it they like that.

If brugs can be wrapped and mulched in Z6 and survive, I wonder if it could be done in Z5b?

I potted up 2 heliotropes and brought them in. Anyone grow these as houseplants?

All your siggies are great! B'lieve I'll forego, as we still have dialup and it slows things down. I like all the chickens, Paul.

Sunshine today! Outside I go!

barb

• gloriab3
    Original Author
    18 years ago

whos darlin baby is that???

canna sweety your not suppose to be able to pee in snow...

someone explain that too canna? bless her little heart...

jo can we do faviort thanksgivng recipes?

Gosh these look so good!

im so hungry..

dirtpig where are yah????

where is dirtpig????

please come play....

someone come wrap my new dahlias in saran wrap for me please.. it will only take yah 16 days...

great recipes guys.. girls... hugs to all who know who is who!

• skohler
    18 years ago

Jean/ dirtpig
    thank you thank you thank you
    very nice box recieved today I love the nature sketchbook : By marjoolein Bastin It is very interesting
    the new 2006 calendar is hanging next to my compurtor desk :)) & the manitou falls post card is going to be mounted in a picture frame where I hope to collect a post card from everyone I trade with .
    I got dutch irises bronze Queen & city of harlem Hyacinth .
    sallye anders Jack soap pumpkin/beta carotene
    power spray adapter for a hose ( BLUE )
    all terrain recovery rub for my achie muscle's from putting up drywall :))
    vaccume bag scents , birdie toys they love them
    coaster for my coffee cup :)) love it .
    pa dutch stick candy , hanging garden bag , never had one hope I can figure out what to put in it :)))
    2 scented vota candles , metal birdie house plant stick ,
    leather garden gloves really like , self stick nate pads .
    stinkey fish emulsion fertilizer & the best of all
    thank you for the veggie dip seasoning dip mix :))))
    iT IS GOING TO BE MIXED & SERVERED AT MY FAMILY THANKSGIVING DINNER .

THANK YOU FOR A VERY NICE BOX
    YOUR GARDENING FRIEND
    SUSIE

• ellenh
    18 years ago

Hi everyone!

Don't know what happened to my last version of this posting. I had it all written turned around and it was gone :(.

Well my brugs are here at home. The very sweet woman who gave this to me and her equally nice husband who dug up and put into my truck each one of these trees made me feel warm and welcomed. Kristi, the woman who gave this to me even brought out toys for my kids so they wouldn't get bored. Not hand me downs - which are prefectly good in my book too - but new, in the box toys she keeps around for just this kind of event. When greeting with this kind of generosity, a simple thanks does not seem enough but she didn't want anything in return. What I brought home were trees taller than me, taller than the inside of my greenhouse. Well they've been well trimmed now and I have cuttings ready to go. Here's what I have to share:
    Rosamond
    Versi Peach - limited amount
    Mayan Magic
    Maya
    Arlene's pink Beauty
    Golden Lady - nice double - but be warned it has a
    virus. The virus does not spread easily but you
    have to clean your pruners before you go near
    another brug. It's lived side by side with the
    other brugs with no ill effects and grows nicely
    anyways. I just want you to be warned.
    Unnamed seedlings of her own crosses.

I didn't get butterfly or the big Creamsickle :(. Someone else beat me to it. I can't really complain too loud because the person who got it was a friend who has given me sooooo many plants.

Jaye - what kind of truck did you get? DH loves trucks. We've had quite a few.

For anyone who wants one post it here or email me with which ones you want.

Canna - sorry to hear about your kitty! I had that happen to one once. She survived fine but what a fright! I shudder to think of the pain.

MaryS - Can I move in with you??????? That lake looks so peaceful.

MaryB - Thanks!

Dawn - Did you get my email? Please tell me that you've forgiven my rash comment :( Will more brug cuttings help??????

Hmmm just what I needed - Another plant to collect!

Anyone ever had bursitis - just got it in the shoulder. I feel like an invalid. What did you do to help it. My mom said she heard something about Vitamin B. Does this sound familiar?

Ellen

• mareas
    18 years ago

Poor Ellen! I'd google shoulder bursitis treatment...
    & poor Canna's cat! i forgot her name, dang. I did remember to send organic catnip for her in the Thanksgiving box I mailed on Saturday.

Paul, I laughed and laughed over that "I'll see your froggy and raise you a..." very good one!! Thank you for all the laughs - I think you'll stay out of the corner now for at least a year with that Dahlia gloria...

I am a Brug moron. *sigh* The one I got from Alabama is struggling here so - hardly any adult leaves, let alone any flowers, here the second summer. I grew it in a pot from March to June then put in a raised bed the last year. Potted it up that freeze and overwintered it in the house. This year I just left it in its pot & am tempted to just leave it out there to freeze this Winter. I considered but don't think I should try to saddle anybody else with it either. Poor brug.

Here's 'Mareas Angel' again, first bloom at 4 inches tall. I am so crazy over daylilies & it just won't stop yet. But it keeps me from worse habits, so its ok, right? marea

{{gwi:1276738}}

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

ellen
    let me know what i need to do to get a few cuttings! any but the virused one, i never remember to sterilize!!

• mareas
    18 years ago

fine, cody mon - ignore us all completely in your quest for plants of suitable health & culture!!

• cody_mi
    18 years ago

now who have i ignored? of course you're right, i'd push my own grandma down to get a choice plant!! not really, but pretty close!
    cody

• msbernard
    18 years ago

hello friends... I'm alerting you to check out Value Seeds. Read about it in the Seed Exchange Forum. It is Thompson and Morgan's discount website. The info was posted by fgilles02420 this evening at 21:52 (so you can find it). What a sweet deal.
    SherryB

• raggedyann161420
    18 years ago

Good morning all,

Had yesterday off, but had to double back in for a two-hour meeting then came back home and slept evening and night away. Have three more 12 hour shifts then I'm off for my long stretch again. Boy how time flies!

I've been looking up all the daylily that everyone has posted and (swallowing hard here) daylily, iris and hosta, OH MY!

Mary S, Love the hosta sig that Canna made for you, I'm from Iowa too, and someday will go back. But...... I have to say GO HAWKEYES! LOL

MaryB, Bobbie is doing great,and I hope to get to visit her sometime between Thanksgiving and New Years. I've offered to work both Thanksgiving and Christmas because Shelby won't be coming home till January for his 6 month check up so we will celebrate then. There are others that have little ones, and I know how important it is for them to be with their families.

Oh yea, it is real gloomy here, and there is snow in the forcast, but the Japanese Anemone "Whirlwind" you sent me is blooming its heart out.

Gloria, I'm still thinkig about how our paths have crossed and can't remember? I didn't get the e-mail you sent out to everyone, and I'm sorry to hear about your son.

Dawn, that is an interesting fish you have there.

Canna, sorry to hear about your cat. I've got an orange tabby also. His name is Goldie, is number 2 of the herd, and has extra toes on each foot. Between him and Pest (number5) of the heard, when I'm sleeping, it is not good enough for them to sleep on the bed with me, they have to be on top of me. Here is a picture of him.

{{gwi:26779}}

SherryB, thanks for the link on the seed site. I will have to order me some.

Shirley, If you have an extra "Gina the Gypsy" I would be interested in trading for her.

Well, much to do, and never time enough in a day to get everthing done but I don't fret about it anymore. It will get done when I get to it. LOL

I think a hosta and iris swap would be great!

Hope everyone's day is a good one!

LIFE IS GOOD,
    {{gwi:26777}}

• raggedyann161420
    18 years ago

Barb, your baby is beautiful....I so much want to be a grammy!

Annie

• ellenh
    18 years ago

Look for the new posting - looks like ivillage lets us go past 100 posts but I think that would get really hard for our dialup members.

Don't forget to let me knwo if you wants some brugs. Let me know what you want too.

Ellen