SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greatplains1

Lantana horrida

GreatPlains1
10 years ago

I just ordered 2 packs of seed from Native American Seed. I was wondering if I direct sow one pack, imitating nature and keep the other one for more controlled sowing I will have some luck? Any advice? Do these seeds come up easily or do they need cold stratification? N.A.S. gives no sowing instructions and I can't find much information elsewhere. I read about them reseeding a lot.

I have been searching high and low for this plant online and locally with no luck. You can find L. camara all over the place and especially those bedding plant types but when it comes to the native big one, which is what I want, there's none to be found. Bustani's in Stillwater OK had them in spring but I was late and they were sold out.

I have found some interesting ones growing around here that do get large, a solid gold one thats about 4' tall and 5' wide and some of the common wild L. camara type and I started plants from cuttings. I am trying to establish them in a long wide area to be a drought hardy screen and fight the neighbors hated vinca vine which I trimmed way back. I want tough, drought hardy aggressive plants in this particular situation and those small wimpy cultivars won't cut it.

Comments (17)