SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_d31

One of the reasons I love being a writer:

John_D
19 years ago

I can work whenever I feel like it.

Yesterday, the words were flowing and I got a lot of work done, but I had to quit early to cook dinner. My wife does not cook, and we had guests over for dinner. But there was no reason to fret about the interruption, because I knew the words would flow again later that night.

After the guests left, I threw another log on the fire, poured myself a glass of wine and settled into the big arm chair by the fireplace to think about the book I'm writing.

I awoke five hours later, refreshed and ready to write.

Outside, a gentle rain is falling and two raccoons are squabbling over peanuts missed by the jays. A screech owl is hooting softly from my neighbor's cedar tree.

I'll write for a few hours before breakfast. Later, I'll take a walk through the woods (unless the rain comes pouring down) and listen to the birds tuning their spring songs. Then I'll work in the garden for a while before I return to the computer.

I love being able to set my own schedule, free from the restraints of working in an office. In fact, I learned long ago that I cannot work in a regimented office, because I cannot think in confined spaces. I get claustrophobia and my mind dries up. (Which made for some interesting complications in college and grad school.) Nor can I set a firm schedule for myself (like writing so many pages every morning).

But I do get a lot of writing done, mostly at night or in the early hours of the morning, when I am undisturbed. But there are unexpected interruptions now and then. Sometimes I spend days reading, or hiking on the shore or in the hills, before I can finish another page. Or I may putter in the garden when all of a sudden, words and sentences come to me, and I step into the house to type them into the computer before they drift away. In the end, it all works out, and my writing projects almost finish themselves.

That approach does not, of course, work for everyone. So, what works best for you?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor