SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
viridis2

Battle of the Invasive Groundcovers

viridis2
18 years ago

I sure hope someone can advise me.

I have about a half-acre hillside of what should be oak-hickory forest. It is bisected diagonally by a driveway. This spring I removed honeysuckle shrubs and most of the poison ivy and vines from the lower half of the hillside. (Found Green Dragon, Jacks, Mayapples, ferns, false Solomon's Seal and other good stuff---hooray!!!) There are lots of redbuds and saplings growing into a nice under-story beneath the tall oaks.

The upper half of the hillside is a different story.

There are about 10 beautiful mature oaks that create a high, thin upper canopy, but NO understory trees or saplings. Except for invasive weeds, everything has been choked out by a complete coverage of euonymus, English Ivy, honeysuckle vine and vinca.

I've tried researching removal methods, but advice seems to differ for each of them. Can't burn, as per city ordinance. I don't want to indiscriminately spray the whole hillside with Roundup, as there are some small ferns, phlox and stunted seedlings here and there. Sprays don't even seem to work on Euonymus anyway.

Must everything be pulled out by hand? That is the only truly effective removal method I know of, but after weeks of yanking up vinca and euonymus this spring I ended up with carpal tunnel problems.

There must be some other way.

I want to plant under-story trees, "replacement oak" saplings, native shrubs and wildflowers, and restore this hillside to a healthy forest. But how can I get rid of these horrid invasive, non-native groundcovers?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County