Native or Invasive- Help ID this groundcover--NC

Lojoni93

This plant came up in the spring, along with a bunch of other new native flowers I planted in a sunny bed in my Raleigh NC home. I didn't remember planting it, but watched it spread from a small clump to 2 by 3 foot dense patch over the summer. Leaves are leathery and a nice yellow-green. It just started flowering, a small white flower with 4 petals. But I notice a low growing plant [darker green ] with the same flowers, blooming at the same time, in my grass.

If it is native, I'll keep it. I can't find it in invasive lists or in wildflower lists.

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrestrial_man(9)

It is a Galium species but I do not know which one and whether it is native or naturalized. Check the link below and then click on the folder tab headed SUBORDINATE TAXA. You will be able to identify the names of those that occur in your area and sometimes they will have colored images of the species if you click on its name.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Galium

Save    
Lojoni93

thank you!

Save    
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Rather than a Galium, I believe you have a Diodia, perhaps Diodia virginiana, Virginia buttonweed (which despite the name is apparently a native of Alabama).

Native or not, it will take over. It roots as it goes, and can sprout from a loose bit cut off by the lawnmower, as well as by seed.

If yours spread from a small clump to a 2'x3' clump over the summer, that means it's spreading at least 12" in a season. How big is your flowerbed?

Here's an interesting article about Virginia buttonweed in lawns. (I have to say, though, that I never water my lawn, and it grows tall between mowings -- but the buttonweed is still spreading.)
http://mobilebotanicalgardens.org/2012/07/12/beating-buttonweed/

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Trees Native Plant Alternatives to Invasive Common Buckthorn
Learn how to identify and control this aggressive plant, and what to grow in its place
Full Story
Gardening Guides Do You Have This Invasive Plant in Your Yard?
Garlic mustard is spreading across the U.S. Here’s how to spot it and what to do
Full Story
Landscape Design Native Plants Help You Find Your Garden Style
Imagine the garden of your dreams designed with plants indigenous to your region
Full Story