SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fungus_gw

Are there any pink beefstakes that don't drop flowers?

fungus
13 years ago

Last year wanted to try some new varieties, and since brandywine seemed not terribly productive and late, went for German Giant, another brandywine lookalike but earlier, and supposedly more productive.

Flowers and leaf are quite similar from what I see in pictures. I got the PL and RL variants (although that place only sells PL), and got for free another pink beefsteak, Giant Belgium.

Now, as you can imagine, I have flower drop, massive. From 10-15 flowers on each cluster I get 0-1 tomatoes, and horribly catfaced. And giant belgium I got 0.0 tomatoes out of all the 3 clusters so far. That's truly pathetic. It hasn't been too hot, nor too cold (at least not all the time). I don't really understand why these tomatoes have no intention of reproduction.

So back to the original question: are there any big pinks that don't have this habit? I thought of trying Eva purple balls next year, but those seem on the small side from what I understand.

On an unrelated note: german giant was really good against late blight this year, especially in terms of foliage resistance, completely untouched, both variants (some tomatoes were touched but at least the plant can do smth now that the weather is better). One of the 3 out of 16 varieties very badly affected this year that resisted, one being a semiwild cherry, and another a cross of my own with that cherry and an heirloom from around here which looks suspiciously like Opalka.

Comments (5)