SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jess74_gw

Please help a novice!

jess74
15 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm so glad I found this forum and I'm really hoping you can help. I'm in the Madison area - zone 4 I believe.

A year ago this past spring I planted a couple varieties of spirea along the front of the house. (House faces east.) They've grown well in that spot but, unfortunately, I see that I really crowded them in. I'm not sure how well you can tell by the pic but there are three spirea in the back row and two dwarf princess spirea in front of those. I'd like to dig up the princess spirea and transplant them elsewhere, then pull the edging and landscape rock out a little farther.

What should I plant in place of the princess spirea I'm taking out? I'd really like to have something with contrast since another reason I'm pulling a couple of the shrubs is because I'm sick of the big wall of green. It'll also have to be something that stays relatively low to not overshadow the remaining spirea behind. I see a lot of red barberry around here, but is there any other good option?

Here's the pic:

Also, just so you can see what else is in that area, I just dug up a weeping jade crabapple and transplanted it to the back of the yard, and replaced it with this pink spires crabapple. (I hope that wasn't a bad idea. I know nothing about landscaping.)

Comments (9)

Sponsored