SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
freshair2townsquare

Favorite 'Tiny' Tree, Part Two

I have a five foot wide h3llstrip in all-day sun & two children who whither in sun/heat. They get off the bus around 3:30pm, in the heat of the day, and the adults have to stand there for a good while during the whole process of unfolding the lift, lowering one child, raising the lift, lowering the second child . . .

I'd like to plant a medium-sized tree to provide shade for the drop-off area, either within the h3llstrip, or just inside the sidewalk. I know the benefits won't be enjoyed for a while, but the sooner I plant, the better.

The three problems are:

1. the significant amount of concrete in the area

2. the neighborhood water pipes that run under the h3llstrips (not sure what depth, but I can call and find out)

3. the bus pulls up right next to the curb, so I'd need a high canopy or upright growth habit to avoid hitting the bus every time they drive up

A. What medium-sized (ish) native trees do we have whose roots won't heave the sidewalk (think: wheelchair traffic) or invade the pipes?

B. Are either Chittamwood (crazy taproots) or Cedar Elm good candidates?

C. Alternatively, what small trees do we have that I could plant right smack dab next to the drop-off spot that would be close enough to yield shade and still not be hit by the bus?

~ freshair

Comments (14)