SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
groovia

Help me love my woodland back yard

groovia
15 years ago

I live in suburban Northern Va. Our neighborhood is primarily manicured front lawns and wooded back yards (backing to parkland with forest, creeks, and lake).

We just moved into the house under a year ago and have been overwhelmed with the amount of flower beds and gardening maintenance from the previous owners. We're a young family more accustomed to townhouse living, so this extensive gardening and yard work is just beyond us. Hubby has been taking pics of all the beds during the different seasons so we can figure out what we have and when it blooms and when it looks bad.

We had previously been wishing to clear out our wooded back yard for a nice green lawn, but I've lately come to the conclusion that we should embrace and nurture the uniqueness of the woodland that we have.

We have a raised flower bed behind the house that I have no idea how to manage:

{{gwi:1353771}}

I'm currenly pg and have a 1 yr old, so hubby is pretty much the brawn in any gardening/lawn care. This is an expansive raised bed and is full of weeds at the moment. It took ages to clear the leaves off of it. I had been thinking we should remove any plants we weren't sure of and planting an evergreen groundcover, but we have a problem with copperhead snakes in our area, so I'm not keen on that idea any longer. Mulching and constantly weeding has proved to be expensive and time-consuming for my husband who would rather spend his weekends playing with his son, versus tending the gardens that are everywhere.

So, is there any advice for doing something low-maintenance with this space?

Thanks so much.

Comments (10)

Sponsored