SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnski_gw

Starting with a pair of oaks...

lynnski
16 years ago

20+ years ago, the original owner took down every single tree on the property except for 2 oaks. The "borrowed" treeline is mostly white pine, oaks, and sugar maple. The two oaks are large, healthy, and tall, and home to at least one red-winged blackbird who has claimed it as his personal radio tower.

The oaks are just 2 feet from the southern property line, and are backed by a long row of soldier-like arborvitae, burning bush, and spirea (ick to them all, but they're not mine to replace).

The northern property line is made up of woodland and marsh, which I am judiciously editing. (The red-winged radio announcer's mate is nesting in the cat tails.) The eastern "line" is a beautiful peaceful lake, along the shore of which I've just planted 30 paxistima canbyi from the NE Wildflower Society.

Can anyone help with suggestions for how I can build out from the two oaks on the southern property line to create at least a sense of woodland? I can't tear out the suburban plantings, but I can plant in front of them, and I'd like to create a restful, peaceful sense of shaded woodland that will feel more at home with the rest of the setting.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company