SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cygnwulf

Squash Bug Sucky solution

cygnwulf
10 years ago

Just a quick brag, there are now SIGNIFICANTLY fewer squash bugs in the garden than there were an hour ago. One of the neighboring beds at my community garden had a bit of a squash bug infestation. And by bit, I mean huge. Being a neighbor's bed, I did not want to attempt to spray or apply anything to deal with them, and hand picking them just wasn't something I had time for in addition to caring for my own bed. However, in a community garden, my neighbor's bugs are my bugs tomorrow. So today at work I pondered a solution. And then it hit me.
Some time last year, Mike McGraff (of You Bet Your Garden fame) suggested to a caller that she use a shop vac to suck up hornets that were hovering around her blueberries. I couldn't help but wonder if a similar solution might work for squash bugs. and I have to say, with the crevasse tool in place, the little crawlies were on the receiving end of something that sucked. The young nymphs were particularly easy to suck up but even the adults didn't stand much of a chance.
So, just goes to show, there are ways to solve problems "organically" that don't even involve all natural sprays and treatments.

Comments (3)